Evinrude FICHT 225... good buy, or good bye?

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing an Evinrude E225FPLEEN. I'm only familiar with Mercury and currently have a 220XRi-EFI. The thought of going over to Direct injection with the benefits that it brings appeals to me greatly!! So firstly, the engine I'm told has about 330hours on it. I don't know the break down of this, or any of its history.

I would LOVE some guidance as to what I should be looking for, this engine is 600 miles from me, and so I would like to go there fully prepared so I know what I'm looking at.

Any help would be brilliant,

Cheers :confused::joyous:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude FICHT 225... good buy, or good bye?

I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing an Evinrude E225FPLEEN. I'm only familiar with Mercury and currently have a 220XRi-EFI. The thought of going over to Direct injection with the benefits that it brings appeals to me greatly!! So firstly, the engine I'm told has about 330hours on it. I don't know the break down of this, or any of its history.

I would LOVE some guidance as to what I should be looking for, this engine is 600 miles from me, and so I would like to go there fully prepared so I know what I'm looking at.

Any help would be brilliant,

Cheers :confused::joyous:

well they have a bad reputation...but many are stillrunning....what is the price??? to me.,... it would have to be significantly lower than non Ficht motors of the same year and HP......

bob

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It a 99 model 3.0L and is ok motor if it has had all the updates, if your buying outright a good price is about $2100-2500 any more is too much. If you want a DI engine get a 2003 or newer 3.3L

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm ok, well put it this way. Its probably about the same possibly less money as I could sell my 88' XRi for, if that helps. Its difficult to compare as English prices are so way different to US.

How can I tell if its had updates? is/are there any 3rd party sensible priced diagnostic stuff I can get to see what has been done?

Interesting that its worth much LESS than non DI engines of the same era.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You would need a servicing dealer in your area.---Call and see if they will actually do service work for you.---Look up prices of various parts too.---It would have to be nearly free for me to want one !

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I may, are your comments from first hand experience? I do all my own servicing - (I work in motorsport) so that doesn't bother me - but if these are really that bad then I'll probably give this a miss...

I see that there is diagnostic kit available on ebay for not a lot of money, so that would give me a proper run down on data I guess.

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, getting the feel with these. They eat pistons - a lot. Got enough projects already, so will let someone else get unlucky with this.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It a 99 model 3.0L and is ok motor if it has had all the updates, if your buying outright a good price is about $2100-2500 any more is too much.

If I may, are your comments from first hand experience? I do all my own servicing - (I work in motorsport) so that doesn't bother me - but if these are really that bad then I'll probably give this a miss...
The key is what Fatz said.

For a DIY'er knowing what has been done and what need to BE done is a real problem. These are not your typical repairs. I'm sure they are within your capability, if you had access to all the service bulletins.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let it pass. JMHO. Been there and worked on them.

Last edited:

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get educated on FICTH and there problems. I have worked on some that had me chasing ghosts. you can get the diag, software and cables off ebay. I know alot of techs that will not work on them.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Know of a dealer that refused to order these motors in until they were improved.---Says it was a good decision.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

1999 was the last year engines were produced by OMC. 2000 was the first Bombardier-produced model-and those were solid engines going forward. We have worked on many of these Fichts, and many did have problems. Some ran just fine. Our general impression is that most all of the Ficht criticism was directed at the 60 degree engines (150/175.) There were a lot of them. The 90 degree Fichts seems to run well-from a powerhead durability standpoint. Some did have ignition issues, but they were detectable and repairable. During the days of the Ficht, the factory created many product improvements for these engines-to be applied to certain serial number engines. I'd want to know if any/all factory upgrades for your 225 engine's serial number were installed by a dealer or not. We have seen a number of them with 1000 hours and more-and are still running.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

1999 was the last year engines were produced by OMC. 2000 was the first Bombardier-produced model-and those were solid engines going forward. We have worked on many of these Fichts, and many did have problems. Some ran just fine.

Just for the record, OMC declared bankruptcy and closed down in December of 2000. Bombardier won the court appointed bankruptcy auction for certain Johnson and Evinrude items in March of 2001. The 2002 Evinrude FICHTS and Johnsons were the first engines manufactured by Bombardier.

The 1999 was the first big block V6 FICHT and it had a checkered past. Today many dealers will not work on them and it was an orphan as it was completely redesigned the following year, almost all different parts. Many parts are no longer available for that particular motor.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I stand corrected on the dates issue. My comments regarding the durability of the 1999 and up Ficht 90 degree motors is still valid in my humble opinion. One of our good customers is still an original owner of a 99 225 Ficht and he is still a happy camper with it. Runs the heck out of it. He's not the only one.

daselbee

Commander

1. If you survey it, make absolutely sure the oiling system is working. Disconnect the return hose at the tank, and watch for oil flow as engine runs. Pump oil bulb. It should be very hard before you overcome the check valve pressure and oil flows. Try to determine if all oil supply hoses that go out to the cylinders are flowing oil.

2. Injectors. We have been over this on this site quite a bit. The injector flow parameters are programmed into the EMM, and the position of the injector cannot be changed without ensuring that the parameters are also changed. You need the software to do this. Now here is the GOTCHA....how do you know that the parameters you are looking at on the SW screen are even correct for that particular injector? Bomb/Evinrude will not give out the parameters for those older injectors. Newer injectors have a Datamatrix square code on the label that a smartphone can read, and the parameters can be obtained that way. But this 1999 only has a serial number label, no encoded parameter info.

3. The EMM is hard-coded for it's operating functions. The EMM also has a section of code called the engine map that can be changed with the EvDiag software. You must ensure that you have the latest and greatest engine map installed in the EMM. Again, you need the EvDiag software.

4. High pressure fuel system. Most of the components to this system are part of an assembly called the "vapor separator". If anything is wrong there...like pressure regulator or bad electric fuel pump, you have to buy the whole vapor separator assembly. Expensive. And the way gas is here in the US, gum, varnish, crap builds up very quickly if the engine is sitting for a while. You gotta run these motors.
My 2004 225HO has been sitting for 6 months....I dread what I will find when I crank it this week.

Last edited: