could a faulty timer base cause a '72 50hp not to reach full RPM'S??

jbjennings

Captain
Just curious. I have been having this problem with this motor for a while, and have just replaced the timer base and cd box and stator just to make this motor more reliable for my dad (all the parts were original from '72) and hoping for max rpm's. I'm going to recheck max timing and movement of the base and see how she'll work. replacing the cd box and stator had no effect on the max rpm's and I am pretty darned confident the max timing is correct. It gets up to about 4000 right now, but won't go further. It reached full rpm's for a couple of times, but hasn't even tried for a long time. Carbs are spotless and synched properly.
thanks,
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: could a faulty timer base cause a '72 50hp not to reach full RPM'S??

Never say never, but I don't see how it could cause it as long as the timing is correct. I suppose you are sure the carburetor butterflies are open all the way. At 4000 RPM, it surely is running on both cylinders. Is compression equal? Getting water in a cylinder??

jbjennings

Captain
Re: could a faulty timer base cause a '72 50hp not to reach full RPM'S??

Thanks F_R! I'll recheck timing and carb butterflies. It's surely running on both cylinders. No water or any evidence of it at all. I rebuilt this motor a few years ago and it's never run wide open consistently, but had a few "spurts" of power all the way to full throttle. It would stay full throttle for a long distance unless throttle position was changed and run perfect. It may be a sticky timer base or incorrect timing, but I'm going to fix it one way or the other this time, even if I have to take it completely apart.
JBJ