1990 Evinrude 140 Cylinder Heads

Musher Deeds

Cadet
Been creeping on this forum for a long time, recently decided to join. I went to replace the thermostat on my 1990 140 looper and broke every bolt that hold on the thermostat housing, on both heads no less. The previous owner i guess removed the thermostats and did not put grease or never-seize on the bolts upon re-installation.

After trying to extracts the bolts with zero success, and being told by a machinist friend, the heads are garbage now. So I need to find two used heads. There are numbers stamped in the head, 333686-2 for port and 333686-1 for starb.

I've found one decent head on ebay with the matching number, but my question is... Is there another number I should be referencing to find the heads? Does anyone know if they are the same casting? Are they side specific? In my parts manual they are given one number which is 0398818. The thermostat housings are in good shape so I only need the heads, and gaskets I guess (i haven't gotten that far yet in research). This is a great motor and I am or course PISSED that the guy didn't do this properly, and on top of it there were no thermostats so god only knows how much damage I have done by running it with no tstats.

Any and all help/ advice is appreciated. Or course now I'm scared to take of the heads in fear of breaking more bolts.. The motor might just be totaled at this point, but I would have to say that if its true.. Please help!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude 140 Cylinder Heads

Should be lots of good used heads around for these motors.---A lot would depend on your location.

Musher Deeds

Cadet

Should be lots of good used heads around for these motors.---A lot would depend on your location.

I'm in Maryland.. I am going to call this place and see if the cylinder heads are universal for port and starb side. They look to be from my eye, but I'm no master mecahnic. Like I said, according to the parts manual, this number 0398818 is for both heads, but then why would there be different number stamped on the heads tht don't match?

http://www.shipwrecksalvage.net/johnson-evinrude-cylinder-head-0398818-0436008-0438525-p-3815.html

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The parts list gives the part # and says quantity required as 2.--That clearly indicates they are the same.----Numbers on the heads are are a casting # and not always the same part # from one year to another.---Similar heads are used on the 120 / 125 / 130 hp models.

Musher Deeds

Cadet

Thank you for confirming this, I am always hesistant when it comes to these things. Thanks to everyone. I need to find a good place to buy new head gaskets as well, and hope I can get the bolts out, they are only supposed to be torqued to 20 lbs so hopefully nothing breaks!

The parts list gives the part # and says quantity required as 2.--That clearly indicates they are the same.----Numbers on the heads are are a casting # and not always the same part # from one year to another.---Similar heads are used on the 120 / 125 / 130 hp models.