1974 70 hp Evinrude Timing

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to change the power pack on my 1974 70 hp. The manual says to check the ignition timing after this is done. Set to 20 degrees BTDC at 4500 rpm IN GEAR. Looking for some guidance.

I found this from Joe Reeves in the Top Secret files. Sounds nice that this can be done without running the engine.

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...q/joe-reeves-wot-timing-procedure-228183.html

I will need to pick up a timing light. Any thoughts on a $20 reliable one for this one time use? I see they sell inductive ones now. Is there a particular one that functions with these 2 stroke CD ignitions?

Thanks all.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 70 hp Evinrude Timing

I must have changed a zillion of those powerpacks and found that the timeing does not change. Don't be concerned about it. Pack up your gear and shove off.... fishing, sking, whatever.

Use the $20 for liquid refreshment. :)

Last edited:

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great. You da man. Won't launch for another month here in Ohio but it ran good on the muffs at the lower rpms. I just needed to tinker with something since I had the time.

Thanks for your input.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

But Joe, the manual says to check it.:laugh:I've never checked the timing either. Did it a few times and it was right on.

Last edited: