1978. evinrude outboard throttle cable problems

brian40

Recruit
My throttle cable is acting up. It's not snapped and it moves a little at the motor. I have to manually adjust it to get it started then move it back to throttle down. Just seems something is loose or needs adjustment. I've tinkered with it allot and I'm stumped just doesn't seem like it's that difficult I must be missing something

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978. evinrude outboard throttle cable problems

If you take the throttle cable off of the motor and pull back and forth on it, what happens ??

brian40

Recruit

It's difficult but the lever at the shifter moves. Now the cable is just kind of laying about. Itworked fine when I got the boat. Is there a special way the cable should be run. I mean it seems too long. I've seen videos on u tube of what's mine is doing just not the fix.

brian40

Recruit

Here's the video I found. Notice how it works fine without the cable. Now when he attaches the cable it only moves back and forth a bit. This is exactly what mine is doing except I can pull it open and close by hand it's just at the lever it only opens and closes a bitwww.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrXmzkDSJo

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

In the video it looks as if the throttle on the engine is just fine and that the cable is froze. Is your cable frozen or does it move when disconnected from the engine?

brian40

Recruit

No it moves when I disconnect. Ive even tried to adjust it. The cable moves slightly when connected just not enough. If I manually open it at the motor I can use the handle to close it just fine however when I go to use the handle to open it again it only opens about a quarter of the way

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If all the linkages are working on the engine with the cable off then the problem is either with the cable or inside the control or where the cable attaches to the engine.

When you say it moves when you disconnect are you saying that the cable end moves in and out with the lever or are you pulling/pushing it at the cable end?