1976 85 hp Evinrude wont start after pulling A tube

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice
My 1976 85 HP Evinrude will not start After I pull Grand kids on tube. If I let it sit for awhile it starts with out problems. Is there A switch oh engine that prevents engine from starting when hot. I installed new impeller 2 years ago . The only time it will not start is right after I pull tube. Motor start very easy any other time:grumpy:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 85 hp Evinrude wont start after pulling A tube

Check your spark when it happens with an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16" and see what you get.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't recall there being a temperature switch on that block to prevent it from starting when it's hot, there's only an overheat thermostat on the starboard head to set off the overheat buzzer. Unless something was installed after-market.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When OMC went to the single power packs in the late 80's they came out with the SLOW system which would reduce engine rpm's to 2500 during an overheat. Yours has no such type of either a cutout or rpm limiter system. It is likely you have a weak component in the ignition system. Weak components tend to work when just started (cold.) Once the engine warms up to normal operating temps, they can act up, esp if idling for a while (the engine warms slightly more at idle.) If it starts back up after the engine cools, the ignition system is a good place to start looking for gremlins. So, follow boobie's suggestion, response #2, above.

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice

Can run motor all day fishing starting and stopping trolling with out A problem. The only time is when I shut it off after pulling the tube.If I let it idle it will run with out any problems. Dont know why that should make A difference

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you run the engine on plane, the engine gets a lot of extra cooling water and will cool the powerhead down maybe 20 or more degrees. Once it sits at idle for a while, the engine will warm back up those 20 degrees-to normal engine temps. If you have any cooling issues at all it could be running too warm at idle-possible affecting that weak ignition part. Again, you really need to check for spark when the engine won't start..it's easily/quickly done. If the spark is ok-then go on to a fuel issue-which will take a lot more diagnostic time.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Emds, you can only talk to a wall so long. JMHO !!