water pump and overheating evinrude 76 55 hp

Nigelmees

Cadet
Ive just finished doing up a 55hp evinrude motor. I have a set of muffs on it but after i start i dont seet the water coming from the motor and after 10 min the overheat alarm comes on. But ive replaced the impeller and the like what do yiu think it could be.....

G

Re: water pump and overheating evinrude 76 55 hp

Ive just finished doing up a 55hp evinrude motor. I have a set of muffs on it but after i start i dont seet the water coming from the motor and after 10 min the overheat alarm comes on. But ive replaced the impeller and the like what do yiu think it could be.....

I am still new at this also but based on what i been reading from the pros on this forum i would say could be the lines or the stat. Lines could have junk stuck in them maybe a piece of an old impeller or just junk or could be that the thermostat is not opening.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Put it in a big barrel of water once or take it to the lake and see what happens.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Putting it on the muffs does not test the water pump at all, as the hose is force feeding the cooling system.

So, first thing that come to mind is a blockage as stated.

Nigelmees

Cadet

Just got some info that if i check the thermo and see if its working first i may get better results. But where is the thermostat ive got no idea this is my first outboard. PLS HELP....

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

could you have missed the water tube to the water pump?

Nigelmees

Cadet

Checked that looks like the rubber grommet has got caught so water was flowing into the caluling and there was a mud nest in the tube which I cleared and im putting a new thermostat in for good measure.