Release valve screw frozen on 1995/225 Johnson Ocean Runner?

Tugdawg

Cadet
Any ideas on how to unfreeze the release screw on the tilt/trim motor? Trying not to stripout the slotted head on the screw. Used penetrating oil and no luck. Also does it need to be bled just to change out the motor?
Thanks, Bill

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Release valve screw frozen on 1995/225 Johnson Ocean Runner?

It is always a good idea to bleed the PTT, on a regular basis. You should be able to remove the PTT unit, by driving out the two pins that attach it to the motor. Each pin has a keeper, which must be removed. The motor unbolts. You may need to remove the PTT power cable connectors from the connector housing, to remove the cable. Id you drive out the lower pin, you should be able to lift and lock the motor in a position allowing you to remove the upper pin.

dazk14

Ensign

I'm going to dance around the relief screw topic. You can try some Kroil, etc, but they're often stuck to a degree. Gentle use of san Impact driver can be helpful. If damaged, the valve assembly come out via a circlip, although these can be stuck too.

Your best bet is leave it alone, if you can.

To do just the motor, only the top pin needs to be removed, then the unit can be rotated out so you can get to the 4 electric motor bolts. Tap the heads a bit, as these can snap off.

No need to bleed the system, although running it up/down will accomplish this if needed.

Tugdawg

Cadet

Thanks Chris. Those pins were bad *** to get out. I will be lubing them regularly from now on. I drilled and tapped a grease fitting to both to accomplish this. Don't understand why the factory did not do this. :)

Tugdawg

Cadet

Thanks senior chief. Yours and chris's reply was very helpful. Safe sailing!

Tugdawg

Cadet
Very late update on tilt trim. Been away..LOL! Turns out that the relief valve screw was missing the PLASTIC type O-rings factory pressed on. Manual says that they can't be replaced so buy a new screw..65$. Talked to a tech and he said put an o-ring on it. It works!!! 79 Cents and for 48hrs of hell but I still love my boat!!!:laugh: Hope this helps someone else!!