76' 6HP Evinrude Not pumping water, need some advice!

cdory dude

Cadet
Hardly pumps any water...It spurts enough for idling/ trolling in my small boat, but stops spitting completely when you bring the throttle open. I can't get to the impeller due to broken off bolts 3 of the 4 are snapped off. But I do know the impeller spins!

So my second thought was to tackle the thermostat and see how that is. I popped the cover off and it was pretty much solidified in there with all kinds of gunk and powdery shiznit. Cleaned it up and it does in fact function when put in hot water.

However when I had the cover for the thermostat off there are 4 holes, 1 which is the intake, 1 which is the exit, and 2 which cycle or exit the water. Anyways I shot compressed air through the intake that comes from the impeller and it has a nice strong blast of air. I then shot compressed air through the pisser hole and I could barley feel a breeze through the other holes. It was mostly shooting back out the pisser. This leads me to believe a blockage is within the motor...Is it worth tearing down for this?

I was somewhat hesitant before since I thought it was solely the impeller but now that I know the pisser can barley pass air, how is it supposed to pass water?!?!?!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76' 6HP Evinrude Not pumping water, need some advice!

Concentrate on replacing the impeller !

cdory dude

Cadet

Concentrate on replacing the impeller !

At this point the impeller is a lost cause, unless you have an idea on how to remove the housing with three bolts still in there. I have tried drilling them out but it just grinds away at the housing putting more holes that I have to patch with epoxy. And if/when I do remove the housing all I have left is one bolt to hold it down ):

Oh and people want like 300 bucks for a lower unit on these engines....that's as much as a used one that is running!

Anyone need parts! Maybe I should just part it out....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take it to a machine shop and maybe they can help you out.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At this point the impeller is a lost cause, unless you have an idea on how to remove the housing with three bolts still in there. I have tried drilling them out but it just grinds away at the housing putting more holes that I have to patch with epoxy. And if/when I do remove the housing all I have left is one bolt to hold it down ):

Oh and people want like 300 bucks for a lower unit on these engines....that's as much as a used one that is running!

Anyone need parts! Maybe I should just part it out....

Well, a water pump kit would pay off here.
Still have the original metal pump housing I'm guessing? The newer ones are much better.

Well, if you do want to part it out, let me know. I could use a few things.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you haven't buggered up the bolt heads too much, they can be removed. All in a day's work for an outboard mechanic, especially one in a salt water area. It requires intense heat, like from an acetylene torch, just short of melting the aluminum. A propane torch won't get it.

But from your description, it does sound like that motor is well past it's prime. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.