Evinrude 135 hp lower unit compatibility

schooter

Cadet
I recently acquired a 135 evinrude from a friend that has a crack in the lower unit. I am having trouble finding what lower units are compatible with it. The motor has been painted and the ID plate is missing. The motor appears to be a late 70's motor. Is there another way I can be sure which lower units work on this motor? Besides comparing them side by side. I have found a 76 model three hours away, but would really like to have a better feel for the compatibility before making a dry run. Any advice is appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 135 hp lower unit compatibility

Any of the V-4 units will work as long as they are before 76 as unit shifts backwards. Also watch the water tubes as some are single and others dual.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Any of the V-4 units will work as long as they are before 76 as unit shifts backwards. Also watch the water tubes as some are single and others dual. You close to Nashville???

schooter

Cadet

Thanks for such a quick response. I have a lot to learn about this lower unit business. However, it would help greatly if I was sure what model my motor is. Is there another way to ID this motor with a missing ID tag? I know it might be a long shot, but it may be the only way.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Look for a quarter size core plug with some numbers on it on the top or side of the power head. Get back to us if you find them.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Look for this casting plug atop the block. Yours will be painted over. It has both the serial number and model number which will match the original riveted serial tag on the engine's transom bracket. (assuming it's the original block)

Attachments

• model identification 2.jpg
    model identification 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Most of the 135 HP models will shift to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.----------

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The crossflow 135 was made 1973, 74, 75 and 76. All were hydraulic assisted mechanical shift

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey schooter check your pm mail!!!!

schooter

Cadet

Someone said that 1976 was the last year Evinrude made the 135. If this is true, how would my lower unit be different since they are supposedly compatible from 73 - 76? Did they experiment with several different ones during that period?

schooter

Cadet

Thanks for the pic. Unfortunately the plug on my has been replaced with a blank. This motor was rebuilt recently and I assume someone replaced the plug. Any other ideas? Or am I running out of options.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

76 was the last year of marketing the 135 hp model !-----------lower unit 73 to 76 was the same.-------Unit must shift to forwad with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.----Many good used units available in some areas.

Last edited:

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Any of the 1973 to 1976 V-4 engines have the gearcase that you need. 85-115- and 135hp -- no other gearcase will work as yours has the hydraulically assisted shifting mechanism inside of it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

He has a later model motor with 135 cowl as he has solid shift rod with no coupler. He sent me pic's and talked on phone. This is why we ask for pic's on a post...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Ahah! Now we're getting somewhere ...

schooter

Cadet

Yep! Thanks for all the advice. Now that I know mine is a 78 and up. What are the chances a 78 model 115 hp lower unit to fit my 135? And are there any possible set-backs to using one from a different HP motor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I am still not sure what you have here as far as your 135 HP is concerned !---No model #'s or pictures so I can not post answers on questions about this subject.---135 HP was last marketed in 1976.

Last edited:

schooter

Cadet

I am just as puzzled. Now after reading several post and listening to the boat mechanic powers that be, I believe the cowl to be in-correct. As stated earlier the model #'s are no longer on motor, so I have no physical proof of age. The CSI I have had to put into this motor has already been exhausting. But I am not giving up just yet. Here is some of the info I am using to determine what model the unit is. If anybody wants to weight in with advice, I am grateful.
The above pic is mine, which has a solid shift rod with no coupler. I am told this is a characteristic of the 78 and later models. Also, by pulling up on the shift lever and turning the shaft clockwise the propeller shaft then turns clockwise. I am also told is another characteristic of the 78 and later models. Based on this information. Would I be correct in assuming mine is a 78 and later instead of the 76 I originally thought?