help with Johnson fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I have a new-to-me 1991 40 HP Johnson, the PO took off to the VRO and never bothered to put back on a fuel pump

(read http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/how-much-would-you-invest-johnson-edit-pictures-added-640165.html to get the whole story.

I got a new fuel pump today, but of course I don't have the mounting screws. Anybody know what size screws/bolts I need to get to fix this thing on? I tried a couple of bolts from my collection, but the holes had mud in from daubers and I didn't want to force anything in case I got the wrong size and stripped them.

Here is a pick where the "normal" pump should go, I think? Holes are marked with red arrows:

holes.jpg

Any other advice for a noob doing this conversion?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: help with Johnson fuel pump

They are 10-24 NC ----Remove the plug ( pulse hole ) between the screw holes.--Need the gasket too.------Pulse hole for VRO should be plugged

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

They are 10-24 NC ----Remove the plug ( pulse hole ) between the screw holes.--Need the gasket too.------Pulse hole for VRO should be plugged

Thanks for the reply, I'll get the screws. The new pump came with a gasket.

The guy plugged the pulse hole for the VRO by cutting the hose and inserting a bolt. The fitting is a brass nipple that the manual says is a check valve? Any advice on if the bolt is OK or if I should get a replacement for the brass fitting?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Remove the brass fitting and get a brass pipe plug for it. Looks neater. By the way, that is the pulse limiter.

Duds

Recruit
Hey guys quick question I have 90 Johnson and taking vro off as it’s not used and put normal pump on boat boat running super rich and barely runs any idea whu

Status
Not open for further replies.