1997 90hp Johnson TSLEAU recifier issues?

roach

Seaman Apprentice
It is a 6 amp unregulated system small retifier. My problems is I seem to go through one about
every 1-1/2 to 2 years. And the one I have in here now I replaced last year. Always starts out with
tach not working or working erratically. Checking it out the other day idling in the driveway with the
muffs on and as I wiggled the leads that go into the back of the rectifier the tach jumped off and on.
Now this is not the first time that this has occurred.This rectifier is an OMC part. So my question is,
is this normal? Do they go out that frequently? It's not like if shorted the rectifier leads. I always
disconnect the battery when I make this repair....... I have used a small 4 amp battery charger
during the winter for a few hours to keep the battery charged. I just don't know. Or could the
stator be the problem. When i was out on the water this past weekend I hooked my digital
multimeter to the battery and observed it reading about 12.5 t0 13 volts as I was doing some
graphing at about 1000 rpms. Obvoiusly I will need to replace the retifier . Oh and I did have a
spare tach that I was using to rule out a bad tach. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 90hp Johnson TSLEAU recifier issues?

It is unusual to only get a year to 2 years on that rectifier. It is possible that the rectifier's life is reduced if the battery leads are loose. Also, make sure the nuts are tight-both ends (battery and engine ends.) Make sure the leads are absolutely clean, both on the battery and the engine ends.