1960 johnson 40hp rds-22

johnpem1

Cadet
hello all....

I have read several topics on this motor here and learned a great deal. However I am stumped. I replaced the condensers and points and gap them accordingly... I also went and got the spark plugs recommended. cleaned fuel lines and got new mix roughly 24:1. had to rebuild the starter to get it to turn over. it spins great lots of compression I lack the tools to tell you the psi. the wiring on this is shot. the cut out switch is missing along with the mercury switches ? they are duck taped off individually.... brown yellow white and blue from what I can tell. I have disconnected everything at this point to keep cracked wires from rubbing. I just want this thing to hit and show me it has life.

my question at the moment is this a electrical issue with something not being connected or closed?
could it be a fuel issue I have tried spraying premix in the carb... I do have a rebuild kit for the carb just haven't had time to rebuild and a impellar. I have a rds 23 im getting for 100 bucks to rob all the controls,linkage, and any other parts needed including steering cables. thanks for the help I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

John in Mobile

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 johnson 40hp rds-22

you have everything disconnected?? if you have the coils under the flywheel connected to the points and also the condensers, the coils are grounded & the points are cleaned/new & adjusted & gap set at 20 then the magnets in the flywheel as it rotates past the coils will induce a charge in the coil which will discharge at the end of the high tension lead (spark plug wire) firing the spark plug gaped at 30. there might have been black ground wires coming from the mag plate to the cut out switch make sure this wire is taped at the end and not touching any part of the block (ground). take the plug ground to block turn over engine and see if you have spark to the plugs? If you do & you have decent compression? add a squirt of 24-1 premix to the cylinders install plugs attempt to start. it should pop.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That wiring is junk, sorry.

Now, I don't see where you describe what it is doing? Not starting? You can start it by jumping the starter from a known good battery to get it to run, or pull it over. Then, replace the wiring as needed.

Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg

johnpem1

Cadet

the black wires run directly from motor through factory cable at engine to secondary cable leading to ignition switch. I am about to wire this thing new with another harness off the rds-23 ... do you guys have a diagram I can work off of. also do I have to use the twist lock system going to motor housing or can I bypass this and do a hard wire setup

johnpem1

Cadet

thanks HighTrim.. missed your post by seconds. it does turn over by battery with direct contact to starter but not hitting... not sure if im missing something as far as wiring goes with respects to the coil wires(2black one)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Those 2 black wires are for killing the motor. They go from the points, to the two M posts on the keyswitch.

Step 1 test compression.

Step 2 set the gap on a spark tester to 1/4" and ensure both cylinders are properly firing. If they don't jump the gap with a bright blue ZAP!! ignition needs attention.

Step 3 ensure fuel delivery. You can spray some premix into carb throat, or remove plugs and put some in cylinders to see if it now momentarily fires. If so, there is a delivery issue. Time to open up carb.