Carb rebuild 1996 fd-20c johnson

peckh111

Cadet
Hey guys, thanks for the first response with the fuel overflow question. It would fire, run for about 3 seconds, then die. Did this every time I pulled the cord.. I pulled the carb and there was a thick black O-ring that was almost completely disintegrated on a post right in the middle of the cork float. It was keeping the float from moving. I looked at the rebuild kit for this carb and I didn't see this O-ring. Is it just a guide for the float and if so, do I really need it?

Second question: When I reassemble the carb, how many turns out is my initial setting for the lean/rich mixture setting that connects to the knob on the front of the cowling.

Thanks
HP

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb rebuild 1996 fd-20c johnson

Is this a 1996 motor or a 1966 model.----Most carburetor kits have a gasket for the nozzle.----The o-ring was improvised by a previous owner.

peckh111

Cadet

Is this a 1996 motor or a 1966 model.----Most carburetor kits have a gasket for the nozzle.----The o-ring was improvised by a previous owner.

Woops. It is a 1966. I think the reason it would not run was that with the O-ring falling apart, it had expanded and kept the float from moving and it was stuck closed. I looked under Iboats parts and I did not see a float rep[lacement kit for my year. Is the O=rings function to help keep the float from side to side movement ?

nwcove

Admiral

the o-ring/gasket is there to seat the bowl to the (nla) nozzle to the the carb body, nothing to do with side to side movement of the float. the float is omc part # 0396514. ( thats just the float!....you should also have the carb kit, uap part # 18-7043....i think, so wait for others to chime in on those part numbers!!)

Last edited:

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Are you talking about #57 in the diagram below. If it is, this is the boss gasket that is there to seal the channel for the main nozzle.

http://www.*****************/parts/...manufacturer=Johnson&section=Carburetor+Group

This part should be in a carb kit and it very important to ensure it runs properly. I can't think of any other o-ring in the float. In the last kit I had the boss gasket was tan in color.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Sorry. It looks like the links don't work. It is a link to iboats competitor so perhaps that has something to do with it.

In any event, make sure you have a boss gasket that seals the center canals of the top and bottom piece of the carburetor.

Last edited:

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dam! Nothing ezy these days. Should have someone do it.

peckh111

Cadet