1999 Johnson 35 HP Stalling problem

danforth1

Recruit
I have a 1999 Johnson 35 HP (3 cylinder) that stalls out intermittently. It's as if you turned off the key. Most of the time it will start up without any problem and other times it will be difficult to start. It sometimes will almost stall but then catches and will be fine for a while. It doesn't matter if trolling or top speed. Had it in the shop for a week and nothing found. I'm in northern Maine and not many marinas in my area. They could get it to stall but could not determine what the problem is. Has anybody else had this problem with the same type motor?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 1999 Johnson 35 HP Stalling problem

Welcome to the site. What is your model number of your outboard? You really should get the Factory Service manual. They can be ordered online from a couple of places one of them is Marine Engine.

Have you removed the oil tank and mixing chamber? If you haven't get rid of it, it is garbage and very prone to failure. Run 50:1 pre-mix.

If your engine is electric start remote control start by making sure the key switch is good, that the kill switch is tight and not malfunctioning and there are no shorts in the wiring harness. Disconnect the plug from the power pack with the yellow and black wire. If you have a electric start you can also disconnect the voltage regulator. A bad regulator can cause the engine to stall. Follow the troubleshooting steps in CDI guide see the instructions for the V4 / V6 starting on page 61. There is no write up in the guide for the smalll triples however they use the same ignition system has the big 4s and 6s.

Good luck

Last edited:

danforth1

Recruit

Thanks Hidef,
Good information, I will disconnect the oil mixing tank, check the ignition switch and have the electric troubleshooting done. All my paperwork is with the boat in storage so I don't know the model number of the motor yet.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Run with a timing light and see if one or more cylinders lose spark.-----Has waterpump been looked at ? -----Possibly overheating ?----------S.L.O.W. mode ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That oil mixer and tank could also be part of your problem. Get rid of it asap and mix your fuel 50:1. Other wise you'll have bigger problems

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If it has been running with that mixer in service, than I think a compression test is a good trouble shooting step.

danforth1

Recruit

Thanks to all, good advise. As soon as this winter ever ends I will get the boat out of storage and get to work on it. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again.