70 hp johnson

control.jpgfirst time boater here...just trying to properly identify things...could someone please explain what the switch is below the key hole and the one right below it looks more like an electrical connection of some sort... its on a 1974 Glastron which has a 78 model Johnson 70 HP...

Thanks in advance

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 hp johnson

View attachment 225424first time boater here...just trying to properly identify things...could someone please explain what the switch is below the key hole and the one right below it looks more like an electrical connection of some sort... its on a 1974 Glastron which has a 78 model Johnson 70 HP...Thanks in advance

The one directly below the ignition switch looks more like a knob than a switch... this would be a tension control that keeps the throttle in place so that it doesn't wander due to engine or boat vibration.

The electrical plug below that is a tachometer hook up plug that consists of: signal sensor lead (gray wire), 12v lead when key is ON (purple wire - tach power supply), and ground (black wire). This 12v lead and ground availability can also be used for other purposes.

Re: 70 hp johnson

The one directly below the ignition switch looks more like a knob than a switch... this would be a tension control that keeps the throttle in place so that it doesn't wander due to engine or boat vibration.

The electrical plug below that is a tachometer hook up plug that consists of: signal sensor lead (gray wire), 12v lead when key is ON (purple wire - tach power supply), and ground (black wire). This 12v lead and ground availability can also be used for other purposes.

Thanks Joe..you're right..the top one is a knob...it seems to turn either direction in small "clicks" about 4 on each side. I was thinking it might of been trim contol that I've been reading about...not sure if my boat/motor even has that feature ... thanks for the info...I been wondering about a tach too