1985 Evinrude 15 hp cooling problems

riley.oregon

Recruit
Hello,
I recently bought a twelve foot Livingston with a console and a 85 evinrude 15 horse. Prior to me purchasing it the motor has not been ran in 5 years. The motor has electric start. With some tuning I got the outboard to turn over. It sounds great when it runs but it is not peeing water. I have checked for a clog in the nozzle (where its supposed to pee) and in the hose attached to the nozzle and both are free of clogs. I have tried backwashing the hose to try and flush any muck out. When running there is no water coming out of exhaust or the propeller area. Is this normal? What could be wrong? I'm thinking I may need a new impellar but I don't know. Are there any comment problems like this in other small OMC outboards? Any help is appreciated and if you have questions I can answer them.
Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Evinrude 15 hp cooling problems

Any time someone buys a used motor i suggest installing a new impeller.-It is that simple.

kbait

Commander

Everything you need to know: OMC outboard related articles

Also, if you're testing your motor on muffs, you can't really get a read on cooling system. Run motor in lake, or barrel, making sure the water level covers the waterpump and test. Water should come out indicator in a couple seconds and be a steady stream. Once thermostat opens, some water should spray out exhaust relief port also.

Good luck!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Install a new water pump kit.