Prop. not spinning in gear

Disconnected shifter cable, started engine and tried to manually but the engine in gear and it felt as if I was going to break something I don't know how to fix. Should I really force it or should I check something else. Thanx guys!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop. not spinning in gear

////----What motor do you speak about here ????

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does this motor live in salt water ??

I used it in mostly salt water it stays on a trailer and it has been sitting for almost a year

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like corrosion has jammed up the lever under the carburetors.--------------Have you tried removing the lower unit to see if the unit itself will shift ?

daselbee

Commander

Corrosion and swelling of the shift shaft seal.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Try to remove the lower unit.-Good opportunity to install a new impeller too.

Can you please walk me through the whole process of removing the lower unit. In Lemans terms please !!! Thanx for all of your help guys

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Easy.
Undo all the bolts you can see on the lower unit (note undo bolt, not screws)
There will be one under the little adjustable fin too.
Before you do that undo the screw under the carburettor that holds on the shiftshaft. Thats the hardest part of the whole undoing.
If you look you under the bottom carb you will see a little flatblade screw that moves up and down as the shifter shifts. you need to undo that and pull it right out. I unscrew it and use a magnet to hold on to it but since you a undoing the LU it doesnt matter if it drops down there.
Once you have undone that remove all the lower bolts. The LU is a bit heavy so dont let it drop.

I undo the shift cable from the control box so you can move the little screw up or down to make it easier to get at with a screwdriver. Its not a very easy screw to get at which is why the system was changed sometime after

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Try and keep the LU in line with the motor as you drop it out so it doenst bend anything. I tilt the engine up a bit so you dont end up hitting the floor

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Heres the screw you want to undo
You can search for an image of it, the long bit of it goes through a hole in the shiftshaft so that the shiftshaft can be moved up and down and into neutral. The thread holds the screw in place, that why it can be quite long to pull out\
327506 — PIN, LEVER TO ROD