1986 Johnson 8 HP Choke/Fuel Primer

WarthogMan

Cadet
I am looking for some insight on the Choke/Fuel Primer used on 1986 -1988 Johnson/Evinrude 6 & 8 HP outboards. I just acquired a 1986 Johnson 8 hp which runs great but is a little difficult to start. In reading LeRoy's Ramblings, I discovered that the Choke/Fuel Primer used on these models is not really a choke but a primer which squirts fuel into the carburator and these motors are not equipped with a conventional choke valve. According to LeRoy, after pulling the knob all the way out to initiate the prime, it should spring retract to the intermediate or red line position on the knob rod. Mine does not do this but stays in the full out position so I'm thinking it may be sticking. LeRoy also indicates that this primer system may have had flaws since they went back to the old standard choke starting in 1989. To start mine, I've been pulling the choke/primer knob all the way out, pulling the rope starter several times with no start, pushing the knob all the way in, pulling it several times with no start, then pulling the knob all the way out and pulling the rope starter several more times. If I'm lucky, she starts after this but I think that I am doing something wrong. Since I don't have the manual, does anyone out there know if there is a better starting procedure? Is anyone aware of a modification to get around starting problems for these engines? Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Johnson 8 HP Choke/Fuel Primer

Squeeze the primer bulb on the hose till firm this fills the carburetor.----Try pulling this primer pump fully out and push it back in fully 3 times.-See what happens.

WarthogMan

Cadet

Squeeze the primer bulb on the hose till firm this fills the carburetor.----Try pulling this primer pump fully out and push it back in fully 3 times.-See what happens.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try that. I assume you should have the throttle in the near idle position as indicated on the throttle grip?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No. Put it in the start position.

WarthogMan

Cadet

No. Put it in the start position.

Good News! With three pumps of the primer she did start better last night. I am still a little confused on where the start position is on the throttle since my throttle grip has symbols rather than words on it (see picture). Can anyone tell me if the start position is the dot with the two arrows or the position with the two concentric circles? I'm guessing the position with the two concentric circles since the position with the dot and arrows is very near idle. Thanks100_0306.jpg

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like the dot with two arrows is the shift position and the two circles are for speed.

In neutral the speed will be limited to keep it from over-reving.

Try starting it at the speed limiting position... when it starts, be ready to drop the speed a bit.

WarthogMan

Cadet

It looks like the dot with two arrows is the shift position and the two circles are for speed.

In neutral the speed will be limited to keep it from over-reving.

Try starting it at the speed limiting position... when it starts, be ready to drop the speed a bit.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll try that. With three pumps of the primer and the correct throttle position, I think my problem has been solved. I really appreciate everyone helping out. This is a great forum.

WarthogMan

Cadet

One last update to this. Like Racerone says, the trick to this system is to pump it three times and then put the choke primer knob back into the 'fully in' position before you rope start it. I'm getting first pull starts with this method.