1984-1989 johnson running problem?

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, Over the winter i purchased a 65 hp johnson that I beleve is between a 1984-89 year. The model tag is missing on the motor. I put this motor on my pontoon boat and went to the lake to test it out and it has now problem starting up. But when I go and put it in gear it runs for a second then cuts off. I let it warm up for a good 10 minutes and try it again and it did the same thing. I noticed it wasn't pumping water and wasn't sure if it had something to do with it n to pumping. I plan to replace the impeller and I wasn't sure if this problem could do with a bad thermostat? Also when i tried to put it in reverse the buzzer was going off, but not in forward? Any help would be great! thank you!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984-1989 johnson running problem?

Start with posting a picture.-----If no one knows what model you have then conflicting information is the result.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just started it in my driveway with no water and it ran just fine, went into forward and ran good? :confused:

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok yes I agree from comparing it to the parts cover picture. Thanks for solving that issue! Can anyone help me with the running issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

That would appear to be a 1973 model.--Not uncommon for folks to sell motors and list them as 10 or more years newer than what they are.----------So if you want to find answers as to what is going on you have to get some results from simple tests you can do.----Start with a compression test.----Then check for spark that will jump a gap of 3/8" or more.----If those are good then we look at fuel delivery issues.--------No one here can do these tests for you , so we wait for reports.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The spark is good, Compression seemed to be pretty good as well. It was weird that in the water it is causing the motor to shut off but on land it seems to be running fine?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

You started it in the driveway with no water? That will destroy your water pump. You probably did already.

The spark is good, Compression seemed to be pretty good as well. It was weird that in the water it is causing the motor to shut off but on land it seems to be running fine?

When you start it in the driveway you must use muffs. Out in the air there is no counter pressure to the exhaust gas, but in the water there is.

Last edited:

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just checked the compression and spark and all looks good. I could clean the carb if you guys think this could help my problem? If not is there any other suggestions to what i should do/check next?