Replacing Lower Unit Johnson 10hp

blpierce76

Cadet
Ok so I got the water impeller kit installed and everything put back together. Know I can get the lower unit to slide all the way in. Im sure it the driveshaft not wanting to cooperate again:blue:. I greased it up, but still not going in. Any suggestions.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing Lower Unit Johnson 10hp

Are you slowly turning the flywheel as you install the gearcase ?

kfa4303

Banned

+1. If you first remove the spark plugs, you can then rotate the flywheel clockwise with one hand while you slide the LU up with the other. No real tick other than trial and error. If it came off, it'll go back on again. Just be patient and cuss as needed :)

blpierce76

Cadet

K I tried turning that for a bit but couldnt get it to go. As hard as it was to get out, Im concerned about getting it back in. The place it slides into was pretty corroded? Can they be replaced? I mean what is that part called, and can I find one?

Thanks

kfa4303

Banned

With the spark plugs and lower unit removed, the flywheel should spin with ease. If it's not, that makes me think there may be something else wrong. Was the top of the driveshaft corroded when you initially removed it ?

blpierce76

Cadet

No the flywheel spins fine, but the driveshaft wont go in. The driveshaft looks great, but the part it goes into was way corroded.

nwcove

Admiral

try putting the lu into gear, and turning the motor upside down, shine a light down to get a good idea where the ds has to go, and rotate the prop instead of the flywheel. just be carefull not to let the motor fall over, as it will be a bit unstable, also makes it easier to align the water tube.

blpierce76

Cadet

Ill try that. Does anyone know if that part where it goes into can be replaced?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I have pretty long arms, but don't think I could turn the flywheel while lining up the water tube and sliding the gearcase up!

Put the shifter into forward on the motor, to get the upper shift rod up and out of the way for now. Grease the water line and grommet on the impeller housing to aid in sliding together. Push the lower shift rod down, to put it into reverse. Grease the splines, but NOT the top of the driveshaft or it will not go up. Now, slide the gearcase up slow, ensuring the water line slides into the impeller housing grommet. Once you are sure that it is in, push up until it stops. While keeping pressure up, turn the prop CCW slow and it should pop up the final inch or so as the splines align. Easy Peasy.

Install a bolt to hold it, then connect the shift rod. Test all the gears, and when you are happy that all is well, install the remaining bolts.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The crank in the powerhead? Well yeah, how do you know that it is corroded?

Was the o ring installed? Trouble getting it down?

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

jmo, but i think yer aim is the issue. what model/year?

blpierce76

Cadet

The powerhead? Well yeah, how do you know that it is corroded?

Was the o ring installed? Trouble getting it down?

Ya it was really stuck. When I finally got it out there was rust everywhere. I tried to clean it up as good as a could, but its pretty corroded up in there.

jmo, but i think yer aim is the issue. what model/year?

1957 Seahorse 10hp

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Was the o ring at the top of the driveshaft missing?

nwcove

Admiral

yep, it can be replaced.....if you want to find a crankshaft. but dont dwell on that! if it came out, it should go back in.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

On some of the later lower units the pinion gear is splined.----So you could pull the driveshaft out of the lower unit.-------Then see if you can install the driveshaft itself into the cranksahft.