Would you buy a 1968 65hp Johnson Electric Outboard?

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
I have a chance to buy a good working 1968 65hp Johnson Electric. Asking price $500, includes a boat in need of repair (junk). Already have a boat I like. Currently have an 83 Evinrude 115 hp Starflite, currently not working, numerous issues! Thinking of downsizing. Is this a good buy or am I buying a problem? Would steering linkage be compatible with existing new linkage I just installed on boat for the 115 hp? Thanks

Last edited:

w2much

Lieutenant
Re: Would you buy a 1968 65hp Johnson Electric Outboard?

Just my opinion, way to much money for that motor.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

For $200 not $500 and it must come with its own remote,because of the electric shift which you will not find on the 115.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I don't think the 65 HP was ever offered with electric shift !!----------This could be a very simple reliable motor.-----Steering hook-up will be different but no big deal to adapt that.--The controls from the 115 may work as far as throttle and shift are concerned.--------The ignition switch and wiring will have to be changed.------Any pictures ?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The 65hp is manual shift but the ignition system on it sucks. Hard to get parts for and to expensive when you find them.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Johnson 1968  65 hp 3.jpgJohnson 1968  65 hp 2.jpgJohnson 1968  65 hp 1.jpg
I don't think the 65 HP was ever offered with electric shift !!----------This could be a very simple reliable motor.-----Steering hook-up will be different but no big deal to adapt that.--The controls from the 115 may work as far as throttle and shift are concerned.--------The ignition switch and wiring will have to be changed.------Any pictures ?

I have only these three photos. None really revealing about the motor, only visuals. The one photo of the cowling does show "Electric" on it. The actual description given so far is "Super quiet electric Johnson 65 Model # vxl-14b

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The manual shift lever is clearly visible in picture #1.-------A compression test is a good idea.---A test run on the trailer at a boat ramp would also be a good idea.----------Leave the boat on the trailer and give it some throttle to hear how it responds.----Any pictures of the 1983 Starflite ?---------Those are an excellent motor and well worth rebuilding.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

The 65hp is manual shift but the ignition system on it sucks. Hard to get parts for and to expensive when you find them.

What is it about the ignition system that makes it so bad in the first place? Hard to find and expensive replacement parts, excellent thought, hadn't even considered that on this motor as I just found it yesterday an hour north of me. 1968, that's pretty old! Thanks for that thought!! Not sure about the "Electric" shift. What years was it made with electric? I have the serial # and model #, but can't find it on iBoats Johnson Model look up list. I am verifying model with seller as others agree with you about the manual and electric shift. It is a " Super quiet Johnson 65 model # vxl-14b " as per the seller.

nwcove

Admiral

you can see the exploded view of your motor at marinengine.com

racerone

Supreme Mariner

It says electric because it is electric start.-----In the late 50's and in the 60's electric start was worth mentioning on the cover,-----That is different today.----The 65 HP was never offered with electric shift !!!----The manual shift lever is clearly visible in picture #1

Last edited:

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

The manual shift lever is clearly visible in picture #1.-------A compression test is a good idea.---A test run on the trailer at a boat ramp would also be a good idea.----------Leave the boat on the trailer and give it some throttle to hear how it responds.----Any pictures of the 1983 Starflite ?---------Those are an excellent motor and well worth rebuilding.

Excellent, it's a manual shift, if I understand correctly, this is the better than electric would have been! Works for me!! I am attaching a couple photo's of the 115 hp Starflite. I would love to know more about this option. Any cost ideas for a complete rebuild? Lower end leaked and foamed, upper end seems weak over all. Would likely need to be complete rebuild. Boat Today 008.jpgBoat Today 003.jpgBoat Photos of info plates 021.jpgBoat Photos of info plates 022.jpgBoat Photos of info plates 023.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your motor. You'll see what I mean about ignition parts. Check the rest of the motor while you're at it. And yes , you can get after market parts and off of E-bay.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I want to thank everyone for all the great help and information provided. Only one problem, I was just informed by owner when verifying model # that the boat and motor have been SOLD! I was too slow!! Guess I'm back looking again! Thanks again to everyone. I am still interested in pursuing the Starflite 115 rebuild idea. I am new here, so allow me to ask for advice. Should I start a new thread for the Starflite or just continue on with it here? What is the proper thing to do? Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have news for you, that is not a 1983 it is a 1974. They were pretty good motors. We had a lot of disasterous water pump impeller failures, resulting in burned-up powerheads. I'm glad to see that hasn't happened to yours. If it were mine, I would make sure the pump has been replaced with the newer plastic one with stainless liners. Perhaps it has already been done.

What do you mean it seems weak all over? The pictures look good as far as general condition. Have you taken a compression reading? I wouldn't be considering a "complete rebuild". Unless it has a major problem, proven by tests and inspecton, I say fix whatever is currently wrong with it and run what ya got.

Last edited:

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I have news for you, that is not a 1983 it is a 1974. They were pretty good motors. We had a lot of disasterous water pump impeller failures, resulting in burned-up powerheads. I'm glad to see that hasn't happened to yours. If it were mine, I would make sure the pump has been replaced with the newer plastic one with stainless liners. Perhaps it has already been done.

What do you mean it seems weak all over? The pictures look good as far as general condition. Have you taken a compression reading? I wouldn't be considering a "complete rebuild". Unless it has a major problem, proven by tests and inspecton, I say fix whatever is currently wrong with it and run what ya got.

When I first got the boat, had motor looked at and worked on as appropriate at local marine service center. Was told a spark plug had broken off and part had fallen inside and piston and cylinder wall was scratched. Compression was low at that time on all cylinders, lower end of acceptable range. Was very hard starting, low power during operation, seemed to work hard to not get up much headway, issues with shifting, finally lower end leaked and began oozing foamed oil. Ran for one season in all before failing in the fall on last camping trip. YA!! Was basically told to use it till it failed and then replace due to condition and what all had happened to it, as well as it's age. I Haven't used it in 2 1/2 years. That's why I would figure a complete rebuild. Sorry on the year of motor, I really did know that, just looked at so many boats and motors lately I think I'm getting confused! Plus, it's SPRING and I'm not even close to having my boat water ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure about impellers being replaced or not, but would surely do if I rebuilt it.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I mentioned pictures because I was unsure of the " Starflite " being used in 1983 model year.-----Pull the cylinder heads off and inspect the pistons / cylinders.--------If you have to pay someone to do the work here then you have to consider looking for a good used motor.-Find a dealer that has rebuilt motors with warranty.---There must be some around still.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thake the $500 and put in in the 115. That 65 is a gas hog and is only about 55 hp at prop....The 115 is about 90hp

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I mentioned pictures because I was unsure of the " Starflite " being used in 1983 model year.-----Pull the cylinder heads off and inspect the pistons / cylinders.--------If you have to pay someone to do the work here then you have to consider looking for a good used motor.-Find a dealer that has rebuilt motors with warranty.---There must be some around still.

My fault on the year. When I first got it, I looked up the model and serial # but forgot. The piston head and cylinder wall are damaged on one cylinder and there are other issues with it. so yes, would need it done, don't currently have space to do it myself if work is needed. It would surely be cost prohibative to have it rebuilt!!

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, considering the added information, It looks like you need to find another motor. But be very careful. You don't want to buy another junker.

BTW, $500 won't fix it, considering the piston/cylinder condition that we now know about.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Well, considering the added information, It looks like you need to find another motor. But be very careful. You don't want to buy another junker.

BTW, $500 won't fix it, considering the piston/cylinder condition that we now know about.

You are so right!! I am here for just that purpose, learn from those who know way more than me! I would expect to pay $2,000 plus to fix this motor, maybe more. I am sure I will be back for more advice on the next motor I find. This is an excellent and very friendly forum, a pleasure to be on!! Thanks to all!!!