removing rust from 6 gallon tank 1961

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know if it is possable to remove the rust in the bottom of a six gallon gas tank 1962 .The sides and bottom are solid but it has been sitting for some time.I removed the gauge and fuel pickup they are ok just some cleaning.Ther is a little gas mixture in the tank so the tank is not dry inside.Any help would be great

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: removing rust from 6 gallon tank 1961

Does anyone know if it is possable to remove the rust in the bottom of a six gallon gas tank 1962 .The sides and bottom are solid but it has been sitting for some time.I removed the gauge and fuel pickup they are ok just some cleaning.Ther is a little gas mixture in the tank so the tank is not dry inside.Any help would be great

If the rust is on the outside no problem. If the rust is on the inside, there is a little effort involved but it does fix your problem. Take some bolts or nuts or nails or even some smaller rocks and put them in the tank with some muriatic acid (very mild and cheap). They sell that acid at Lowes or HD and it is safe to use with some rubber gloves and eye protection. Then start shaking the tank for a while as the bolts, nuts or rocks bounce around in the tank. It will clean all the rust out nicely. Then after you are satisfied with the results, dump everything out and flush the tank a few times with water and even some baking soda to neutralize the acid. Continue rinsing until the tank is clean. Then dry it out and either use it that way OR they make a two part epoxy type coating to pour in and coat the inside to keep rust from reforming again... They sell that two part epoxy tank coating at motorcycle shops. Either way, your tank should work perfectly again...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I like to use electrolysis to remove the rust.

Electrolysis.jpg
Electrolysis001.jpg

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply two good solutions .This is awsome post a questions 10 min later a response thanks Alex

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also I have used paint stripper and pea gravel, & as GM280 says shake it, soak, shake, let set, do this for 3 - 4 days, dump & maybe do it again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I like GM280's method. We used that years ago but then it was called toilet bowl cleaner and it always worked good.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had my tanks soda blasted inside and out. Rinsed with water, then acetone to dry out water. Then applied Kreem, which is sold at motorcycle shops, and coats the inside of the tank. Just follow their instructions. The methods noted above certainly work too, but I went with soda blasting as I planned to paint the outside of the tanks too. I had most of the pieces of a 1955 Johnson 25hp motor and 2 tanks soda blasted for $100.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

K & B coatings(amazon) is what I use to repair tanks, Can will do about 3 tanks

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

One other question what year props will fit on a 1958 35 big twin.

airman1094

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cleaning strength vinegar usually works well when used with ball bearings, SS nuts, nails, washers, or etc used as abrasives. I've used vinegar to clean out some old motorcycle tanks with much success. Of course everybody's replies are also very effective. I've got an old gas tank in my 68 Mark Twain that's pretty crusty from being idle and near empty for at least 4 yrs...I'm gonna clean her out with warm phosphoric acid at about 40% strength followed by baking soda. Then acetone to clear the water out! Let us know how your tank cleaning comes along!

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

I used muratic acid and cut nails .After 2 days i took the tank to the car wash and used the high power wash to clean the tank Idid this about 3 times then the tank was clean I put a rag in the tank to dry it out .I had th gauge removed so I had two holes to work with used a magnet to remove the nails.cleand the pickup tube and used air to clean out dirt.The tanks works great also sanded and painted looks like new.Also bought new hose and fittings

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I used muratic acid and cut nails .After 2 days i took the tank to the car wash and used the high power wash to clean the tank Idid this about 3 times then the tank was clean I put a rag in the tank to dry it out .I had th gauge removed so I had two holes to work with used a magnet to remove the nails.cleand the pickup tube and used air to clean out dirt.The tanks works great also sanded and painted looks like new.Also bought new hose and fittings

Sounds great and glad you thought enough to report your results too. That way others can read and see how things actually worked out... You are now part of iboats team of knowledge for others... :thumb: :thumb: