Drive Shaft on a 1957 qd-18 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blpierce76

Cadet
Hello,

I was replacing the water pump on my Johnson qd-18. I removed the shift linkage connector through the cover on the mid housing and unbolted the lower unit. When it slid off the drive shaft stayed in place. Ive read that with some motors you have to remove the power head to remove the drive shaft on some outboards, but I havent seen anything on this specific one. I would like to know for sure before I start prying and pulling on the drive shaft. :lol:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive Shaft on a 1957 qd-18 ?

The drive shaft should be in the gear case when you assemble the water pump. Try and get it out. The splines may be stuck in the crank shaft. Try and get it out.

nwcove

Admiral

driveshaft should have came out attached to the lu.

edit: you will probably need a new impeller housing .

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Driveshaft should come off with the lower unit.-----The splines on the driveshaft should be greased when assembled.---The O-riing should be in place at the top of the driveshaft.---This is often neglected on older motors.

blpierce76

Cadet

OK so its not connected anywhere else, just stuck? Ill try and get it out tonight. Thanks

nwcove

Admiral

be carefull where you pull on it from, stay away from the area where you can see that the seal was located.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Usually, on a small hp engine of that size.... vice grips attached to a NON BEARING surface portion of the driveshaft, gripped tightly and tapped as needed will free the driveshaft. Good luck to you.................

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Worse case scenario, I hang them upside down by the drive shaft, about an inch off the ground, above foam or a pillow to cushion the fall. Spray a good penetrating oil down the shaft, to help. Hitting the shaft with an impact hammer usually vibrates them loose.

As stated, you must have tore a hole through your impeller housing to get it off. You will see the slot tore into in now.

kbait

Commander

+1 w/hightrim. Although, I have successfully installed a new impeller on a 9.5hp where I couldn't remove driveshaft from powerhead. I used the 'wrecked' waterpump housing w/clean 'slot' where pin broke through. Takes some patience to get it all together, but the motor pumped/cooled just fine afterward - and customer was happy w/result(and price.. powerhead removal on those 9.5's is a b***h). That said, freeing the shaft would be nice, and hanging it for a couple days with liberal pb blaster and vibration may just do the trick.

Powerhead removal on your 10hp isn't too bad if you go that route.

Good luck!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First off try what Joe Reeves suggested.

blpierce76

Cadet

Ok Well it took a lot to get that drive shaft loose, but finally got it off. Thanks guys. Now Im putting it back together, but I am wondering if there is supposed to be some sort of oring or grommet in the top of the pump housing where the driveshaft goes through? :confused:

BTW I did not break the housing, whoever changed the impeller last did not install the pin properly which is why it came off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to grease the driveshaft splines but don't put any on top of the driveshaft.

blpierce76

Cadet

So does the water pump housing have a seal where the drive shaft goes through?

nwcove

Admiral

BTW I did not break the housing, whoever changed the impeller last did not install the pin properly which is why it came off.

jmo, but its not possible to install the impeller pin improperly, its either is in the slot or it wont go together! and the ds should not come out from the bottom without damaging the impeller housing!

blpierce76

Cadet

Well they either used a wrong pin or something because the pin was in the hole but pushed all the way in and the end was flush with the drive shaft.

blpierce76

Cadet

Could have i suppose. Do you know if there is some sort of seal in the pump housing where the shaft goes through?

MTguy63

Recruit
Okay, so I see this is a five and a half year old Post, but I have the same problem, minus the pin being sheared off or short. I assume it's the pin catching on the impeller housing that is preventing the lower unit from coming off. I saw that it took a lot of work to get the drive shaft off, but never saw what worked. I'm not sure I can get vice grips on the shaft with the small Gap I have, or even if I can get WD40 to the shaft.

Do I have to take the powerhead off? If so, now what am I changing - it looks like at least a gasket? I was excited to have this old motor, but now this water pump issue is changing my mind.

Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Okay, so I see this is a five and a half year old Post, but I have the same problem, minus the pin being sheared off or short.
Start a topic about YOUR motor and don't post to inactive topics

closed

Status
Not open for further replies.