E50PL4EES- 99' Evinrude 50hp 4-stroke Common problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

devildg4671

Seaman Apprentice
Helll, I have a 99' Evinrude 50hp commonly known as a Suzuki DF50, I was wondering what are the common problems with these outboards ?
I was told, mine was shot due to a common problem/leak that causes the motor to hydrolock. Is it worth rebuilding or purchasing a used low hour exact model. Any ideas and opinions are welcome

Thank you,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: E50PL4EES- 99' Evinrude 50hp 4-stroke Common problems

These are great motors when they run.-------I know for a fact if you hit something very hard you need to repair the lower unit / prop.---On these motors it is apparent that the valve timing may also suffer from a " dynamic halt " of the motor.----That is not an easy fix.-----Labour to repair these engines will quickly make them a " throw away item "----Just my opinion.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Racer, what does the gear case have to do with a hydro lock ?? I thought that always pertained to the power head.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The question was about " common problems " with these motors.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

So it's a "common Problem" for the gear case to have the power head to have a hydro lock ?? His gear case may be okay.

daselbee

Commander

Racer isn't describing hydrolock. He is describing a common problem with the timing gear/chains jumping teeth. The OP is sorta talking about such, seeing as how he is repeating what some dealer told him.

But exactly hydrolock...NO, I have never heard of a true hydrolock on these engines.

Racer is right....very big repair if the timing has jumped.

Ask the dealer to be specific. He seems to be talking in generalities. Which cylinder is hydrolocked? Take the plug out. Should relieve the hydrolock. Where is the H2O coming from? Leaking head gasket? Tell him to be specific. HE sounds like the is trying to pull one over on you by being vague with a "technical term".

boobie

Supreme Mariner

So what it boils down to is the OP should get some straight answers from the dealer as to what exactly is wrong with it !!!

daselbee

Commander

Yep. I would, if I were him.

daselbee

Commander

Baffle with BS.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Hydro-locked or maybe piston is hitting some valves.----It is an interference engine.----So hit something really hard.--Timing chain may skip a few teeth on a sprocket.---Piston hits / bends a valve.---Unless you fix it yourself the labour / parts costs add up to a new motor.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Water in crankcase oil???

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
This is a 4 yr old thread ask the mod to give you your own. But to answer your question unless it is a very easy problem to fix look at replacing it.

Bobby Drummond

Recruit
I have a 50hp 4 stroke Evinrude and I'm having problems getting it up to power. It idles and runs but won't reach power. I replaced the plugs even though the old ones were bad. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did this problem show up all of a sudden ?----Might be a switch that is stuck,.-----Tells the ecu it is still in neutral.----Therefor motor won't go to full power.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 50hp 4 stroke Evinrude and I'm having problems getting it up to power. It idles and runs but won't reach power. I replaced the plugs even though the old ones were bad. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Are you going to start a new thread as was recommended on 1/1/20 when you posted in another old thread?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.