1995 Johnson 25 hp problem

Captsomer

Recruit
Hello All,

I picked up a pretty nice 1995 Johnson 25 HP outboard motor a little while ago. It's been sitting for a while but it appears to have very low hours. It looked pretty nice but I gave it a "going over" just be sure. New plugs, cleaned the carb (new float, float valve assembly), fresh gas (50/1 mix), new fuel tank, new fuel line w/ bulb.

I put the boat in the water and the new motor runs GREAT!

Now here's the problem, if I idle for a while, like 10 minutes or so, maybe less, when I go to mash the throttle and run again the engine runs like crap in the mid to upper throttle ranges. It sputters and surges and the engine acts like it's going to jump off the back of the boat as long as I hold the throttle open. The boat won't even plane out. Squeezing the primer bulb or squirting that fuel spray thing does nothing. It's like someone is very rapidly going from idle to wide open throttle and back to idle over and over again. All linkages on the carb are operating fine, the butterfly is not wildly flapping. As soon as I slow back down to an idle or a high idle, it runs great again, just no mid to upper throttle. If I shut off the engine for a while, the problem goes away and the boat runs like normal again until I idle too long again. If I get up on plane and run her fast, she's happy and she'll run all day. I just can't idle for too long.

There's not much to these carbs, I've been through it twice now. The only adjustment is the low speed mixture and that has been adjusted well I think. I adjusted the float, it's fine. The upper speed orrifice appears to be fine, clean and well seated. I'm running out of things to check. Could it be something electrical? I doubt it but I won't rule it out. I've searched this site looking for others with similar problems but didn't see anything.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Johnson 25 hp problem

Sounds like an ignition problem. Put a timing light on each cylinder when it's doing this, turn the timing light around and look into it. If black spots appear that's the cylinder with the problem.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

check the slow system,it limints the motor if it gets hot.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may have the idle set too rich, not transitioning to mid range and open throttle.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with boobie here. I have mistaken ignition issues for carb issues many times producing many headaches.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with boobie here. I have mistaken ignition issues for carb issues many times producing many headaches.

hi guys , I only said to check the slow system cause I had that same problem on a similar motor,when it would go over 180 it would try to jump off the boat to about 150 degrees.

mjfrederick

Seaman Apprentice

hi guys , I only said to check the slow system cause I had that same problem on a similar motor,when it would go over 180 it would try to jump off the boat to about 150 degrees.

According to what I've read of the SLOW system, once engaged it doesn't disengage until the throttle is returned to idle. I agree that it sounds like an ignition issue.

tablesaw?

Cadet
Was this ever solved? I'm having the same problem and am not having any luck throwing parts at it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Was this ever solved? I'm having the same problem and am not having any luck throwing parts at it.

This is one of the reasons we ask that you start a new topic on your "same problem" instead of asking in an old, unresolved topic.. A new member asks a question, gets some suggestions and never follows up on his one and only post. So no one knows what happened. Please start a new topic, tablesaw.