1987 Johnson 2.5 2 stroke outboard

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice
This is my first motor and boat that i purchased. I am planning on using the set up for duck hunting and getting up and down the local rivers. I got the motor and it was stuck. Im no mechanic at all, but i got the motor unstuck by reading posts on here. I feel so proud andaccomplished because im not a mechanic by any means. I got the motor to crank after the 3rd pull. I know i need to change spark plugs and lower unit oil to be safe about it. It sat for 7 months. Bought it from a mans wife where he passed away and she sold it to me. She had no idea about the boat. Just said she knew it ran right before he died. What other things should i do to the motor? The motor looks brand new under the cover. How can i tell if water is getting to the motor and cooling it also? I am planning on going and trying out the motor on saturdsy at this little lake. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Johnson 2.5 2 stroke outboard

Change the water pump too.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Would i be able to tell if water pump is messed up without buying another one and the otber one be fine? How do i tell if it works? Sorry im no mechanic. Just bear with me. And is it hard to change that water pump? Water pump is what pumps water to the motor to cool it correct?

QUOTE=boobie;4513164]Change the water pump too.[/QUOTE]

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Then take it out to the lake and make sure it doesn't over heat. Should see a fine mist of water coming out of the exhaust housing.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Ok that sounds good. Ill put it in a barrel and see if any mist comes out. I hope it does. If not the water pump will be replaced. I just bought one for only 20 dollars. So i guess better to be safe than sorry. Wont hurt to have a new one on. Is it hard installing it on there? Also, would it be possible to install a small 3 gallon tank to put in bottom of the boat? It has one of those 1 gallon saddle tanks thats attached to the back of the motor. Thanks for bearing with me. Im new to this and first boat. But i will say im enjoying putting my hands on it and working on it. Its addicting

Then take it out to the lake and make sure it doesn't over heat. Should see a fine mist of water coming out of the exhaust housing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you put it in a barrel make sure it's big enough that the water comes up 5" above where the water pump is.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks for the tip. I wouldnt have known. Any other tips you can throw my way feel free to. The mister is supposed to come out right below my steering handle in the back correct.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Ok i went to go crank it up and it wouldnt turn over for anything. It turned over 3 weeks ago with no problems after i got the flywheel unstuck. Why would it not run when it ran 2 weeks ago?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get it freed up again, make sure your using 50:1 fuel and take it out and run it for a 1/2 hr.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

The fly wheel is free. It just wont crank for anything. Ill go buy new spark plugs an gas. And try it

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Remember, there is a difference between cranking and starting.:lol:

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

I got some new fuel. Going to get new spark plugs as well. My buddies Johnson took 10 mins to start up and run today. Over heard several people at the lake today saying all their engines took a while to finally start. Could it just be my motor is cold natured and doesnt start to well in the cold?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my guess is carb issues. all my motors will start on one or two pulls dead cold. two strokes, as long as you have compression, spark, fuel the motor will run albeit not smoothly but should run.

problems with cold starts are usually fuel related, not all, but most. i would check compression, the spark, then fuel. not all in that order.

things to do, i just spent about 100 on a similar motor, 1976 evinrude 2 hp. i rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines, cleaned the tank, new spark plug, wire, and boot, new point and condenser too.
the lower unit, will get new seals, oring, oil, new gaskets on the fill screws. i also will pull the prop to make sure there isnt any fishing line on the prop.
if you really want to got into the motor, replacing the head gasket is always a good idea too. this is on my todo list.

dino

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Ok i cleaned out the carb. In the process i accidentally bfoke the fuel shut off switch on it. Can some pkease tell me where i can find this part. Im clueless because this one piece is non existant anymore.

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to figure out that fuel switch is only for turning the fuel on and off. I thought it was also part of the primer due to it being on one whole knob. But i have luck on my side for once. I got the fuel switch to be able to stay on. I just cant turn it on and off easily. But it can be done if i needed too. But i can live with not having that part. I plan to run it every couple weeks to keep her running good. I cleaned out the carb again and put in fresh fuel and mix. Primed her up and she cranked right up on first pull. Thanks for input. Still have to check on the water pump though. Where is the water supposed to come out. Right at the square block on the back of the midsection?

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice

Boobie, i put a new water pump and impeller on the motor. Cranked right up but im not sure where the stream is supposed to come out. I understsnd you said the exhaust housing. But i see tbis black piece on the bottom called the exhaust relief or something like that. Could you just bear with me and help me figure out where its supposed to come out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Can you post a pic of the back side of the motor when it's out of the water ??