mercury switch location 58 big twin

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice
The wire to the mercury switch on the cutoff switch on oy 58 is just hanging either someone cut the mercury switch off or it got disconected where is the mercury switch located on the engine .the wire i'am talking about is the black wire located on the side of the cutoff switch.i have traced the red wires to the black button on the front of the engine and the other one goes under the flywheel.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury switch location 58 big twin

The mercury switch is attached to one of the two bevel gears (the small one) on the side that operate the throttle. As you advance the throttle, the gear rotates, which tilts the switch.

Attachments

• Wiring 1958_61 35_40hp manual start.jpg
    Wiring 1958_61 35_40hp manual start.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Deleted... F_R was typing at the same time and his answer and graphic said it all.

Last edited:

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys I found it but I still don't know were the black wire coming off the side of the cutoff switch goes

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did you click on franks pic? It shows pretty clearly the wiring arrangement.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The cut-out switch is mounted on plastic, so it is not grounded. It can do nothing unless grounded. The mercury switch grounds it, but only at slow throttle settings. If it were grounded all the time, it could cause a high speed miss, especially at "cruise" throttle position.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

F_R... I'd like to copy that mercury switch graphic if you don't mind. I don't recall ever seeing that particular one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Help yourself, it's free for the taking.