1970 33hp Johnson charging?

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was just wondering about this and thought I'd try to get some opinions. I know this motor came out with a belt-driven generator as an option but mine didn't get it. Is there any possible way to add a rectifier so I can charge the battery? Could it wired somehow even though the motor doesn't have a power pack? Did they not use rectifiers yet in 1970? Or if they did was it just on this motor that it wasn't used? I guess easier way to ask is "Is there any way to install something to charge the battery on a points ignition other than the actual belt-driven generator?" Thanks for any and all info and opinions.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 33hp Johnson charging?

There is no room under the flywheel to install a set of battery charging coils !!-----------You have to go to the 74 model 40 HP to get charging coils with a rectifier.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Or get a solar charger for the boat.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I'll stick with the battery charger. The motor's easy enough to pull if the battery dies while I'm out. Thanks tho, it was a thought.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I came from up north where the season was short. If you had a good battery and fully charged it would normally last the season with that motor.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had the motor for awhile and have still not needed to pull start it. A buddy of mine wants it but is concerned about the charging issue. He doesn't seem to believe that it came with an optional generator. I think he thinks I'm lying to him. I told him I would research an alternative charging solution. Maybe I should just flat out tell him that if he wants a motor with a charging system then he needs to look newer. I love the motor and would just as soon keep it as sell it. Just trying to help a friend get his boat on the water. Would rather keep a friend than sell a motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

This motor just needs the battery to crank it over.--The magneto runs the ignition.---A 1970 33 HP is just a simple rugged motor and usually can be repaired for little money.--It does not have $400 fuel pump or $300 injectors.----Dealer repair service is not required.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Exactly why I would just as soon keep it. It was free to me, I got it running and have no problems with it. I just don't need it anymore. The only reason to keep it would be to just have another horse in the stable

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I had one of those generators on one of my '57 35 horse Johnsons. You have to run the engine at least at 1800 rpm to get any charge going. The trouble with the dinky little flywheel and the ridiculously expensive drive belt made it mostly a pain in the rear and not worth the effort. I must admit that I felt quite smug opening the cowling and showing it to my friends while singing its praises.
As for why keeping an engine like that? On that short block you can build a fifty horse or even a 65 horse 2cylinder 2 stroke that is stronger than the late eighties 50 and 65 horse engines

Last edited:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had one of those generators on one of my '57 35 horse Johnsons. You have to run the engine at least at 1800 rpm to get any charge going. The trouble with the dinky little flywheel and the ridiculously expensive drive belt made it mostly a pain in the rear and not worth the effort. I must admit that I felt quite smug opening the cowling and showing it to my friends while singing its praises.
As for why keeping an engine like that? On that short block you can build a fifty horse or even a 65 horse 2cylinder 2 stroke that is stronger than the late eighties 50 and 65 horse engines

No kidding? How would I go about doing that?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't even think about it as it's not worth the time and effort unless you have plenty of $$$$$$$.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't even think about it as it's not worth the time and effort unless you have plenty of $$$$$$$.
Either that or lots of spare parts laying around the barn. It definitely beats being bored and getting fat and grumpy

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

No kidding? How would I go about doing that?

Your wot is 4500. the 50 horse is between 5500 and 6000,and the 65 horse is closer to 6800. So all you have to do is a change of carburetor ,exhaust system and leafs. Of course it will help if you use a much better quality piston rod,but the short block is still almost the same from the 1956 25 horse to the late eighties 50 horse.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Hey ronward, I'm not sure how big the parts barn would have to be to beef up horsepower on that 33, but you or your buddy would need a stable of parts to stick on the generator system too. And the fool thing still might not work the way you want. Had a couple of complete generator assemblies that I had cobbled together to use on my ’57 Big Twins –- generators, brackets, regulators, belts. Never really got one to work very long before the belt would break. The motors and all that stuff sold a few years ago before moving, -- have a couple of ’57 Johnsons now, but no intention of trying the generator option again. Like that ’70 33hp, these are simple motors and work fine as is. At most, if I do any fishing with a bunch of electronics, I’ll just run with two batteries.