evinrude 2003 225 only reach 5000 rpm at wot

moons

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Guys
I need some help I am experiencing some issues with my motor. on the last trip I notice motor did not reach the 5500 rpm before it do it. this what I had been doing spark in all cylinder during cranking 7/16 blue spark, compression 100 psi in all
cylinders. I review fuel filter and it has some water change for new, change spark plugs for new it show some worn, initially
has a problem to plane but no anymore but did not go over 5000 rpms. Last trip I notice bendix still engaged on flywheel it show some wear on the starter bushing I don't know if this affect.
Any help is welcome

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 2003 225 only reach 5000 rpm at wot

Do a cylinder drop test on it and see if it's running on all six cylinders.

moons

Seaman Apprentice

I will do this weekend in case I don't have the software could be disconnecting one plug at time and see if any change on outboard rpm happen that one does not change is the bad one! By the way I run the motor last weekend at least 30 minutes at 5000 rpms and all the spark plug looks consistent no signal of lean as white spark.

daselbee

Commander

You have my motor.....
Unfortunately, you will need to get a laptop and the EvDiag software to really get at this.

But, there is one test you can do....attach a fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader fitting on the return to VST fuel line. You should maintain above 18 psi throughout all throttle ranges.

If low fuel pressure, you should look for clogged filters. It will have a very small, undocumented filter in the return to VST inlet at the bottom of the VST. That can clog. I have the P/N for that filter...just gotta dig it up.

However, reading your post again, low fuel pressure would probably show some sign on the plugs of lean condition.

I would still check the fuel pressure.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Isn't this new engineering just great ??:mad:

moons

Seaman Apprentice

Ok will try my EvDiag software work while motor running because it freeze when it start.

moons

Seaman Apprentice

Today perform drop test and all injectors reacting equal. Noticeable change on off, also review spark plug dignaf with inductive light all ok. Tomorrow I will test on lake hope fail was the bendix engaged on the flywheel creating extra load on motor.
Any clue is welcome

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the bendix stayed engaged in the flywheel your starter motor is now junk.

moons

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it show excesive wear on the 2 bearing or bushings up and down. It star but is has too much wear. Hope this was thr issue

moons

Seaman Apprentice

can Anybody provide me DFI technologies phone to call from mex no the free one. I appraciatte.

daselbee

Commander

Country code 01, (251) 974-5210

Good luck, they are closed on Monday, and voice-mail is full.

What happened? Your run proved out that it was not the starter drag?

Still at 5000 max?

moons

Seaman Apprentice

No yet bad weather yesterday on Mexico don't let me run on the lake. but I have to be prepared in case of necessity to repair injectors
Question whats the recommended RPM to do the cylinder drop test? as I mention I do it at idle and the cylinder respond
in the same way when drop each cylinder start working erratic . Same behavior on the 6 cylinders.
Thank you.

daselbee

Commander

I do it at 4000 and at idle.

You really need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it. Two things:

1. There is an undocumented fuel filter in the VST.
VST is the vapor separator tank. At the bottom of the VST, you will see two fuel lines. One is the supply line from the lift pump, which will be incoming new fuel.
The other line is the return line from the injectors.
Pressing on the red tabs, you can remove the line that is the return line from the injectors. Inside the fitting on the side of the VST you will see a small filter. It is pressed in there, and is not meant to be changed. But this filter is used on ETecs, and is available.
You can grab the filter with needle nose pliers and pull it out. It is a very tight fit. Put the new filter in in the opposite direction...I.E. insert the closed tip end in first.

The filter part number is 354190.

Have the new filter on hand first...you will likely destroy the old one getting it out. That filter can clog causing your lack of WOT.

2. Now, on the high pressure fuel pump that is mounted on the side of the VST. If you remove the pump, (one screw and a clamp), and look into the bottom end, you will see a filter screen. Make sure this is clear and clean also. I also saw an engine with what looked to be a black paint flake that was blocking this screen about 40%. Caused loss of WOT.

daselbee

Commander

Another thing...

On two engines with clogged filters as described above, both engines had a loss of WOT, as well as a miss after passing 4000 rpm.

You don't mention anything about a miss.

daselbee

Commander

Have you cleared/cleaned the exhaust pressure fitting located on the STBD side of the exhaust adapter? To locate it, follow the rubber hose from the EMM down to the exhaust adapter. You will have to remove the side cowling. Remove the hose, use an 1/8 inch drill bit on a hand held pinvise, and carefully ream out the fitting. The bit will only go in about 1 inch before bottoming out. Then follow up with spray carb cleaner. The fitting is a hollow tube with a closed end. It has tiny holes drilled into the side of it. Those holes must be clean and clear of carbon. You can also remove the fitting completely to clean if you wish.

moons

Seaman Apprentice

Ok My Friend
I will do in the following Order.
a) Drop test at 4000 rpms it can be performed on the trail on water or must be running?
b) I will review both filters to review obstruction. Yesterday I verify main fuel filters and it show debris
c) Exhaust pressure fitting is clean I already reviewed
d) Review pressure on fuel system to see if is within spec

Other than motor did not go over 5000 rpms it run perfect not issues or misfires!

I really appreciate you support

daselbee

Commander

I would run it on the water instead of trailer.
Look for even RPM drops across all cyls.

Waiting to see what you find.

moons

Seaman Apprentice

I just receive the filter. This weekend I will review filter on VST and Filter on the fuel pump to review if them are clogged.

moons

Seaman Apprentice

I review filter on return fuel line from injector and some diry on the filter 15% clogged. It was change for new one. Take out electric pump to review filter and it seems to be ok. Hope tomorrow run the boat on water to review if issue dissappear.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Do a compression test as you may had a piston ring locating pin migrate out, this will cause a 500-700rpm loss and still idle fine and pass drop test if it still has some compression.