Evinrude 4hp Deluxe Power Issues

T Kowsh

Cadet
1987 Evinrude 4hp Deluxe
Model # E4RDHCUD

I just purchased my first outboard, a clean 4hp Evinrude Deluxe to learn on though hands on expierence. Since acquiring ive installed a new Water Impellar Kit, Carb Kit, Fuel Pump Kit, Lower Unit Oil, and new clean ethanol free gas in a clean tank.

Problems.... Motor starts easy in 2-3 pulls and runs/sounds/shifts great in a tank. However once mounted to my 15ft Gheenoe the motor seems to bog down at WOT allowing me only about 5-6mph. I manipulate the high speed needle and see slightly improved results for only a few seconds with no speed increase and then it bogs back down. I see the best results with the throttle set just before WOT. Still it seems to no maintain the increase and drops the load. Any suggestions/advice on where to look next? Im new to outboards but have patience.

Thanks, Tom

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 4hp Deluxe Power Issues

I think I would check that both plugs are firing. Get a spark tester should jump 3/8 of an inch.
Be sure the link n sync is right. The cam under the flywheel should just contact the throttle roller in-between the lines on the cam
as the speed control advances.I believe the cam can be adjusted to make that happen.
Check that the mechanism functions as it should.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Will do... Thanks

Got the correct plugs fitted ?? Champion QL86C I beleive for that model, maybe QL77JC4. Gapped at 0.030"

BTW correct fuel mix is 50:1 even if has decals or if the manual says 100:1

Correct settings for the carb needles (I thought it only had a slow speed needle though !!) can be achieved by following Joe Reeves' instructions at
http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...sorted-carb-variations-joe-reeves-167352.html

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When running it do a cylinder drop test on it to see if both cylinders are firing.

nwcove

Admiral

when you re-kitted the carb, did you soak it, blow it out with carb cleaner etc? there is no hs needle on that motor, but there appears to be an orifice located in the hs nozzle. ( oddly, on marineengine, its marked as the ls orifice??). anyway, the carb needs to be spotless , all passages, welch plug removed etc etc.

T Kowsh

Cadet

Correction from my post, it is indeed a Slow speed needle. I did disassemble the carb and spray/soak all the parts with carb cleaner. Blew out everything with compressed air. I'm not sure of the status of the spark plugs nor have I checked the spark gap.
Gonna give that a try and I'll post back with the results.
Thanks

T Kowsh

Cadet

Checked the plugs, they were fouled. Additionally I believe they are the wrong plugs. They had Autolite 425 installed. They don't cross reference with the champions. Also adjusted the throttle so that the throttle and cam turn in unison.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Do you have spark that will jump a gap of 1/4" on both leads ?------That is the proper test for good spark.

T Kowsh

Cadet

I do have spark, not sure of the gap though. I'll get a spark gap tester and see what I get.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The magneto on your motor was built to be able to produce a voltage of up to 28000 volts.--------Now it does not take that much voltage to jump a 0.030" gap on a sparkplug grounded to the block.-----When the plug is in the cylinder and air is compressed a magneto that is not in good condition will not fire the plug !----It is that simple.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Checked the plugs, they were fouled. Additionally I believe they are the wrong plugs. They had Autolite 425 installed. They don't cross reference with the champions. Also adjusted the throttle so that the throttle and cam turn in unison.

Autolite 425 are resistor suppressed plugs. Do not use resistor plugs in your engine or you will have trouble

The recommended Champion Q series plugs are inductively suppressed.

You could use unsuppressed plugs but if you use suppressed ones they must be the specially developed inductive type.

T Kowsh

Cadet

Alright, after changing the plugs and adjusting the throttle I dropped the boat in the water to give it a run. It worked! It was a windy/choppy day on the water but was able to maintain 10mph with burst of 11. Thanks to everyone for the help!