going to buy a 78 mako with a 1997 200 johnson on it, any issues with these motors??

hi guys I'm going to look at a 1978 mako with a 1997 200 Johnson on it. I looked online abit and found carb issues with them "getting dirty" but not much else. do you guys know of any real issues with these motors? the engine had a complete redo in 2011 by black bird motors in pa. looked them up and they seem to be a really good company. anyway anything you guys have to say "good or bad" would help me out a lot on weather to buy this boat .thanks ,my name is matt

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: going to buy a 78 mako with a 1997 200 johnson on it, any issues with these motor

:welcome:Johnson are good motors, no issues I can think of:noidea:

Last edited:
Re: going to buy a 78 mako with a 1997 200 johnson on it, any issues with these motor

:welcome:Johnson are good motors, no issues I can think of:noidea:

thanks.. the boat is far away from me and I'm taking a chance driving over 200 miles to get it.. so just wanted so input before I went.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take a compression gauge with you and be sure to check it before you buy it.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

+1 on the compression test. being it was serviced 3 years ago, it is due for a pump impeller and service lower unit

I have one and will take it. I'm thinking there should be no more the 20psi difference between the readings readings? am I right about this. I had a compression check done years ago and this what I remember.. again thanks guys for the info..~matt~

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

that's a 36 year old boat, make sure the transom, floor, stringers, are solid

that's a 36 year old boat, make sure the transom, floor, stringers, are solid

thanks that was my first thought. in 2011 the whole boat was redone so I'm hoping it was done well.. we will see.. the pictures he sent me shows a new floor and he has paperwork on new gas tank and so on .. I find out Saturday for sure..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

black bird motors in pa
Lots of bad press on these guys...
do you guys know of any real issues with these motors?
These are a closed deck motors and to keep em running t-stat and impeller service is needed yearly, prop them for 500-600 rpm over recommended max rpm . Running too hot and luggng will cause ring pin migration and ring breakage and more..

Lots of bad press on these guys...

These are a closed deck motors and to keep em running t-stat and impeller service is needed yearly, prop them for 500-600 rpm over recommended max rpm . Running too hot and luggng will cause ring pin migration and ring breakage and more..

I looked them up and contacted four people that had rebuild with them and they said it went well. I saw the one post on the web about the bad rebuild and what went on with that. do you have more of the "bad" press about them? from what I read they seem to be a good company ?? I don't know.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There should be no more than 10% difference on the compression numbers.

crab time

Cadet

Those are good engines. I have owned several of them and worked em like dogs. Just keep the filters clean and add an extra inline filter and you should be fine. They do burn a bit of gas though.

thanks guys.. this site is great. I have been looking at it all day ..stuck inside with all this snow in jersey.

well I got in contact with the guys that did the rebuild on this engine in 2011. they tell me it was a complete rebuild from top to bottom.even re did the cowing and stripped and re painted the lower unit with factor omc paint. lets hope the guy cared for it and its still in good shape. i have compression tester and spark tester, will check both but not sure a sea trial with be possible cause of weather. anything else you guys would check with this engine ? most likely will have to only run it on muffs ,so not putting the engine under load worries me abit. anyway thanks for the help