1998 Johnson Fast Strike engine bank won't power down BJ175GLECD

Austin_Bob

Cadet
So I have a 1998 Fast Strike and one bank of cylinders won't shut down when I turn off the engine. I just replaced the switch and the power pack. I thought the power pack might be bad, so I sent it back to CDI and they tested it and said it was working as designed. When I turn off the ignition, 3 cylinders shut off, but 3 do not.

Has anybody seen this issue and can you help to troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Bob W.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Johnson Fast Strike engine bank won't power down BJ175GLECD

Interesting issue. I did not see any obvious reason for that to happen, in the wiring diaghram. The stop circuit is connected thru a diode to the shift assist switch. Maybe the stop circuit has a bad connection at the powerpack, and the ground is fed thru the shift assist switch to kill 1/2 the motor? Alternatively, maybe both wires (Black/yellow and black/orange) need to be grounded to kill spark? It does look to be wired that way. Sounds like time to check the diode near the shift assist switch.

Just a guess.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Thanks for the response - I am not sure where to find the shift assist switch, can you point me in the right direction? Is it the Shift Assist Module? Part # 123-7878? Is it located inside the shift housing area?

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Your part number looks to be a CDI electronics part. It doesn't look like the correct part.

Part number 0585013 is the shift assist switch. It is located on the shift cable connector, starboard side of motor, lower cowling.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, I found the switch but I'm not sure where the diode resides. One wire from the switch goes to ground on the motor, the other goes to the black/yellow wire, which connects to my switch and is the shorting or stop circuit.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The diode is located in the black/yellow wire. As you move down the black/yellow wire away from the shift assist switch, you should see the black/orange wire connection. Stay on the black/yellow wire, and the diode should be a bit further down the wire. I will send you a PM

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The diode is located in the black/yellow wire. As you move down the black/yellow wire away from the shift assist switch, you should see the black/orange wire connection. Stay on the black/yellow wire, and the diode should be a bit further down the wire.

Attachments

• 1998 Johnny 150HP wiring diaghram Scan.jpg
    1998 Johnny 150HP wiring diaghram Scan.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0

Austin_Bob

Cadet

ok, I see it on the chart, do you think it's close to the engine or back by the ignition switch? We're talking about 10ft of wire, and even if I find it, what am I checking? How do I know if the Diode is good or not? I mean, it allows current to flow, 3 of the cylinders power down, and if I put the start switch back to on, they fire back up.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

I checked on the CDI website, here is what I found in their troubleshooting guide:
ENGINE WILL NOT SHUT OFF:
Disconnect the stop wires at the power pack. Connect a jumper wire to the stop wires from the pack and short it to engine ground. If this stops the pack from sparking, the stop circuit has a fault. Check the key switch, harness and shift switch. If this does not stop the pack from sparking, replace the power pack. Repeat test as necessary for additional packs.

Ok, so if I wanted to test this process above, I would start the motor, disconnect the power pack from the harness, and ground out the black/yellow wire straight to the motor, right?

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad shift diode. That pack has 2 kill circuits on it and CDI should have told you that. One is the bly/yel and that one is for shift interrupt and starboard cylinders (pin G on pack) and blk/org which kills port cylinders.(pin B). You can test pack as follows:
Remove both connectors from top of pack. With meter on diode check put + lead on pin C or D of stator connecter side(6 wires) and - lead on pin C of 5 wire connector. You should see a double diode drop of about 1.0~1.2v and nothing in opposite direction. Repeat for port side using + lead on A or F and - lead on B and reading should be close to the same.

View attachment osi001.pdf

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Thanks Fastzbullet, I just purchased the power pack last month and when I first encountered the problem with the engine not stopping I sent the power pack back and CDI tested it and it is working as designed. So I guess I need to replace the diode, can anybody confirm if this is the correct part number (# 953-3840)?

Last edited:

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok - You guys are awesome. I didn't get a chance to test or pull the diode yet, but I was able to find it. I've attached a pic to show what it looks like on my motor, it's about 8 inches down from the shift assist rubber wire connector. I was more comfortable cutting thru the tape once I saw the diode kit and realized that the tiedowns in the kit were to replace the tiedowns that I cut when looking for the diode.

I would also like to thank Fastzbullet for explaining that the power pack has two kill circuits, 1 for each bank. I didn't read that well enough last night to understand it, but after I re-read it today, I understand that only 1 of the 2 kill circuits is working, which is why I am focused on the diode. I'll cut it out in the morning and run over to the electronics store to see if I can get it replaced. If not, I'll order the one online. Stay tuned, update tomorrow

Last edited:

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, so I replaced the diode NTE Part NTE156, and that did not solve the problem, however, I noticed 2 new things:

1. if I don't plug in the shift assist and turn off the ignition, the engine shuts down.
2. If the shift assist is plugged in, the engine runs on 3 cylinders, but if I lift up the wire 2 inches where the diode is connected, the engine shuts off.

Maybe a broken wire? Any ideas how to proceed?

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Certainly sounds like a bad ground or broken wire. The position of the wire, when the shift assist switch is plugged in may be part of the issue.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, so I found the problem, it turns out that the connector to the power pack has a loose connection on the black/yellow wire. I took a pic of the inside of the power pack connector, take a look at the bottom right prong.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did it work after you repaired the connector ??

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Yeah, I bent the connector in the plug to make a tighter fit on the prong, and it sure did work. Now I have to put silicone on diode/rectifier and tape it back up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I mentioned that problem in my first post(pat pat). Glad it worked out.