Old Johnson 3 h.p. how to determine coil, points and condeser

arlieedwards

Recruit
I have an old Johnson 3 hp Model #JW20B. It set up for over 30 years. After cleaning carb, new plugs, etc. it ran but only on full throttle. I have taken it apart. The coil housings are cracked and falling off the coil. I now have the coil, points and condenser loose. How do I find out the size of the condenser, points, and coil?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Johnson 3 h.p. how to determine coil, points and condeser

It takes the Universal Ignition. Very common items. Condensor is a 580321. Points and Coil are Universal.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

covers your motor... I have an identical model

don't forget the cap vents ( 2 very small holes 180 degrees apart (under the screw and washer) which need to be decrudded with a paper clip !! )

LOOK REAL CLOSELY ...i missed mine the first time around

the fuel filter INSIDE the tank.. on top of the fuel valve (it unscrews) may be plugged and tank full of crap.... Both need a complete cleaning.

GREAT MOTOR ( check for webs and bugs in the air silencer !!!)

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have an old Johnson 3 hp Model #JW20B. It set up for over 30 years. After cleaning carb, new plugs, etc. it ran but only on full throttle. I have taken it apart. The coil housings are cracked and falling off the coil. I now have the coil, points and condenser loose. How do I find out the size of the condenser, points, and coil?

All that stuff is available right here at iboats. They pay for this forum, why go elsewhere?

Coil is 18-5181
Tune-up kit (2 points & 2 condensers) is 18-5006
OR
points set (1) is 18-5156
Condenser (1) is 18-5199