75 evinrude 135 starter not turning over

Jbagwell95

Recruit
I have a 75 evinrude 135 and I'm having problems getting the starter to work, the starter was just rebuilt and when putting it and the sylenoid back on appearently I hooked somethin up wrong?? Or maybe pulled a wire loose in the wiring harness? The starter was tested before I left the shop with it and worked great (still works if I bypass all the wiring with jumper cables) after hooking everything back up the starter wouldn't do anything (not even click). I was told it was prob the sylenoid so I went and bought a brand new one and replaced it... Still nothing.. Then I replaces all the 20amp fuses in the lines from battery to motor.. I still have nothing! Anybody got any advice? What's my next step?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 evinrude 135 starter not turning over

You aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but the next step is to do what you should have done before buying that solenoid. That is, use a multimeter to do some voltage checks. Piece of cake if you know what you are doing and have some knowledge of starting systems. Shouldn't take over five minutes. It is not rocket science.

You still can do it, but will have to educate yourself on what to look for and expect as you do the tests. I could sit here and type it all out, but it probably has already been done. Do some searches here on the forum, and if you can't find anything, come back and I'll start typing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That was very well put F_R Agree+1...Jbag a factory OEM service manual would really help you out.

Last edited:

dazk14

Ensign

Did you blow the short 20 amp fuse located on the motor?

Did you replace the solenoid with an OMC/BRP solenoid, or did you buy it from an auto parts store?

Do you have the large ground cable connected to the block and battery?

Post a picture or 2 of the starter solenoid area.

Can you activate the choke(hear a click) at the key switch?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Have you tested the nuetral safety switch in the control box?----Have you checked the wire from solenoid to ground ?------Not sure why folks just buy new parts instead of simple testing !

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Do you know if the key (start) switch functions? They go bad with age, esp if they get rainwater in them. Part of the electrical check FR refers to.. When the key is "on" does the choke function when the choke lever is activated?

dazk14

Ensign

Do you know if the key (start) switch functions? They go bad with age, esp if they get rainwater in them. Part of the electrical check FR refers to.. When the key is "on" does the choke function when the choke lever is activated?

It wasn't FR, regardless, I should not have presumed he would have the key on. Good Call emdsapmgr.

Jbagwell95

Recruit

Thanks for all the help y'all! Sorry I haven't been able to post back sooner, after a long time of searching wires and testing voltage in numerous places I discovered my positive battery terminal cable had a cut in the line (about a foot and a half from the end). The cut had some exposed wires and water got down in it and corroded it all the way through, once I found this out I replaced the wire and it fired right up! Sucks that I spent all that time looking for somethin so simple lol