1999 JOHNSON 115 HP - General Opinions

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a 17' Wellcraft CC with the 1999 JOHNSON 115 HP. Just asking for general opinions of the engines dependability. How many cylinders. Does it have oil injection? If so, do you guys disable it and mix your own fuel.

Thanks,

Bill

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1999 JOHNSON 115 HP - General Opinions

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a 17' Wellcraft CC with the 1999 JOHNSON 115 HP. Just asking for general opinions of the engines dependability. How many cylinders. Does it have oil injection? If so, do you guys disable it and mix your own fuel.

Thanks,

Bill

we need the model # of the outboard.... its not enough to just say the year and HP?????

it might be a Ficht...

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Bill,
I've got a 98 115 Evinrude on a 17.5 Proline CC. I've had it close to a year now, when I bought it the boat had been sitting for about 4-5 years?? So had some things to do go get it "right".. Nothing really major just general things like water pump, gear oil, pack, coils, wires, rebuild carbs, etc.. But once done it runs great, top end pushes it about 45mph on GPS. It's a V4 looper. I've got a OMC Spec sheet I can upload once I get home that will give you general info including GPH, they spec on a hydrosport 17cc but it should be close enough.

It's not oil injection into the cylinder it's mixed, has a VRO and it's personal opinion on leave or delete. I did test the VRO alarm and oil output and it was good so I've left mine. Again, some swear by them others swear at them.. Some interesting reading for you continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: VRO Fuel-Oil Mixing

Regards,
Fred

daselbee

Commander

Bob....no Ficht Johnsons. Just Evinrudes.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob....no Ficht Johnsons. Just Evinrudes.

I have seen many Ficht Johnsons!!!!!!!!!!! I USED to think the same thing.....

er075w.jpg

this 150 hp is a 1997 no less!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually found this pretty quick....1999 115 hp!!!!!!!!!!!

2vw5wr7.jpg

bob

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander

Well, I will be dipped in s*** and rolled in cracker crumbs!!!!!

Absolutely correct. Now I know too!

Shame to waste my 2000th post on a "fall on my sword" apology!!! :joyous::joyous:

daselbee

Commander

Re your second pic....I looked al ALL the models on Evinrude's website for 1999 115 Johnson engines. There are NO model numbers (only five showing and two are Belgium) that are fuel injected. All have carbs. So something is weird....

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

What does Ficht mean? This motor is all white and says Ocean Pro on the back of the cover. If I can figure out how to post the picture I will.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Re your second pic....I looked al ALL the models on Evinrude's website for 1999 115 Johnson engines. There are NO model numbers (only five showing and two are Belgium) that are fuel injected. All have carbs. So something is weird....

my best guess, is the early Johnson Ficht' were installed on NEW BOATS and sold as a package
FAST STRIKES and INTRUDERS were bass boat motors mainly

.....bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

What does Ficht mean? This motor is all white and says Ocean Pro on the back of the cover. If I can figure out how to post the picture I will.
the OCEAN RUNNERS (Johnson) Ficht motors were early 2000's and later... I think....

if the motor cover looks like this:
2rm35nn.jpg

with the VENTS on the top edge in he back.....its a carbuerated motor
bob

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kinda does, wish I could upload my picture, doesn't want to seem to work....has the vents on top, the script is different.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

to speak to your OP... I love my 115..its a 1995...but I have a 1996, and a 1997... you need to check the motor out before you buy...each motor has its own history. the best motor in the world could be misused and abused

bob

daselbee

Commander

Alright getting back to answering his question...

It will be a four cylinder engine.
If it is a Ficht, named after the German engineer that pioneered the technology, then I would stay away from it.
I don't think this will be a FICHT model tho. Get us that model number to be sure. It will start as "J115...
Early production designs of the fuel injected (no carbs), computer controlled Evinrude and Johnson engines were a disaster. Probably was a huge factor in the eventual demise of OMC.

I suspect it is a carbed motor. The motor will have optical ignition, which I think is over-complicated, problematic design. The throttle linkage is kinda "klugey", Rube Goldberg style, a complicated assortment of rods and cams that have a whole lot of mechanical force and pressure on them as they operate. I just personally think it is a bad design, but thousands of them are out there.

Another "odd" design is the lack of a head gasket. They use an o-ring and silicone RTV to seal the head passages.

Probably other stuff too....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

so it is 99.99 % probably a carbed motor....

so NOW, you have to test the motor.......IF you like the price........

lots to look at........on both the boat and the motor...AND the trailer!

bob

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 8.17.09 AM.jpg

Give you some idea on performance. I followed the performance charts and it fuel savings is noticeable.

daselbee

Commander

Where did you get that chart, Fred?