2001 90HP johnson- no spark on top port cylinder

Moqwack

Cadet
I was having issues with motor running under a load. I checked compression 120 on all four cylinders. I checked the spark and I have issues with top port cylinder. on the spark tester it won't spark unless you keep cranking it and then it will fire only once or twice and then it will stop sparking again. Where do I go from here. I have no adapter for testing the power pack or ignition coil. If I replace both should this fix my issue? any help would be great, I just bought this boat and it's my first so I'm learning as I go. Trying to make heads or tails of the Seloc Manual (they don't make an OEM for my year motor).

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 90HP johnson- no spark on top port cylinder

its easy to switch the plug and see if the problem follows the plug..... or....switch the coil and see if the problem follows the coil

bob

jbjennings

Captain

You should be able to take that powerpack to a marina and have them test it for pretty cheap. Great advice above!

Moqwack

Cadet

Ok so I took the above advise and switched the two coils when doing I only have spark on the bottom right cylinder!! I'm still at a loss as to where I should go from hear. Should I replace both coils and a power pack and be done with it or is this another issue?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Ok so I took the above advise and switched the two coils when doing I only have spark on the bottom right cylinder!! I'm still at a loss as to where I should go from hear. Should I replace both coils and a power pack and be done with it or is this another issue?

troubleshooting...is one step at a time.. the ONLY way to jump to the end ....is to take it to a mechanic..... so it sounds like he coil isn't bad. (BOTH coils fired the bottom cylinder!) did you switch plugs yet

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can't take just the power pack to a marina as they have no way of testing it. You'd have to take the whole motor as they have ways of checking around it to confirm the pack is bad with the proper meters.