1979 6HP Evinrude Impeller Stuck, need advice!?

cdory dude

Cadet
The impeller housing does not want to come off. I have removed the four screws from the top of the housing, did I miss any screws? I have tried a BMFH and that still won't pop it off. Any advice for getting the housing off to access and replace the impeller? I feel like I am missing a screw or something because it should not be this hard to remove.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1979 6HP Evinrude Impeller Stuck, need advice!?

only four screws hold the housing on, give it a shot of penetrating fluid, let it sit, then try gently tapping it to make it rotate slighty one way , then the other.

cdory dude

Cadet

only four screws hold the housing on, give it a shot of penetrating fluid, let it sit, then try gently tapping it to make it rotate slighty one way , then the other.

So once the four screws are removed it should be able to rotate around the shaft? I was under the impression that the movement in that direction was restricted by some edges or lips within the housing. Either way I have sat there with a sledge hammer and pounded the living day out of it and it still wont budge. It spent about a week on the shop vise taking its daily beatings from me untill I gave up and decided I would rather blow the dam thing up then fix it at that point. Still hasnt blown up....been waiting for that excuse so I can buy a nice new 4 stroke engine :)

nwcove

Admiral

lol...even if it will move 1/16", rotating it back and forth, it should give up its hold.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Aw heck, if you have removed all four screws, there is nothing holding it down but the gasket (324901), which may be sticking a bit. Or perhaps somebody has used some super gasket sealant on it. They must have put it on the stainless plate too, or it would come up with the housing. In any event, pry it off.

Attachments

• 5.5 Water Pump Kit.jpg
    5.5 Water Pump Kit.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0

cdory dude

Cadet

Sold this dam thing for 100 bones and it feels good to get rid of it. Money is going towards a new ff/gps!