I have a late 1950's Evinrude 9.9 laying around...

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey fellas I'm in central VA. Father in law offered me a late 50's clamshell 9.9 and she is seized up. I havent tried to work it loose, but all the parts are there. Didn't know if anyone around my area was interested in her? I dont really have the patience or desire to work on it but if one of you guys are into them then she's all yours. I'd hate to see her go to the scrap yard. :grumpy:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have a late 1950's Evinrude 9.9 laying around...

Post a model #. And come on, you'll learn something.:joyous:

nwcove

Admiral

+1^. at least give a shot of some type of penetrant in the plug holes. it may free up quite easily, then you could have a nice working 10 hp for less than $150 and some time.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

yes to the above posts -- but in any case don't scrap it. There's an AOMCI chapter in Florida looking for 10s (and 9.9s) for a project with kids. It sounds pretty neat, and one of my 10s is going down there -- might have a use for your motor, even if just a parts motor. Will be other interest as well, I'm sure.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Half the time it is not the engine but the gear in the lower unit. anyway,you should get a hold of some "marvel mystery oil". in a car parts store. Yes it is a real and no joke. Pour it into the plug holes and let it sit for a day or 2. The stuff works wonders. your engine is either a late fifties 10 horse or a mid seventies 9.9.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

yes, 10s in the '50s - '60s, 9'9 in the '70s and beyond (to present). ATF is another miracle cure -- doesn't matter what brand.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Well trust me I have worked on quite a few motors. This one has some good parts on it, but has been setting outdoors for years (it appears). I just think it would take more time and money than I would want to invest into it. Either way I wont send her to the scrapyard. Worse comes to worse Ill part her out on ebay. I just have a soft spot for old neglected motors. Man the nerve of some people just letting a good old motor go to waste.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

could post it on the AOMCI site (.org), and somebody from your area would probably pick it up. Ebay too (or CL), but AOMCI plugs you in to some folks who want period motors (and others too), and probably easier to do than Ebay and maybe CL. But post a model number if you would. Thanks.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Sure Ill get a model number and some pics up next time I run by there.