Evinrude 135 1976 683D How to set the timing

Pacifictimes

Seaman Apprentice
Yesterday I found the key sheared so I replaced it (OEM) tightened it (my tourqe wrench only goes to 100psi so I took my large 1/2" rachet and got another quarter turn on the nut. I also spent about 30 minutes with rubbing compound on the shaft cone and the flywheel cleaning both surfaces up. About two weeks ago I had this engine running (rough though) I put it in the river tied to the bank, it ran around 10 minutes at a high idle, some missfire but was not real concerning to me, I was hoping it would just clean up and run smooth. When it sounded like it was smoothing up it then died, haven't been able to start it since. Now that I have found and replaced the key I would like to check the timing but dont know if this can be done, especially if the motor does not start.
I bought a timing light but have never used one. (yet)
I appreciate your time and advice - Dave

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 135 1976 683D How to set the timing

It's unusual to find that the timing adjustment has changed. Obviously, it will when the flywheel key shears. Once that key is replaced, likely the timing is ok. You can check/validate the timing on that engine with an inductive timing light on the #1 plugwire. Your flywheel should be indexed to show timing marks for both the #1 and #2 cyls. You need to set it according the highest reading between the two plugs (cylinders.) The factory service manual timing for your 76 135 says 20 degrees, when the engine is running between 4300 and 4600 rpm's. Since the timing changes (creeps higher) with higher rpm's, you really can't set it at idle. The factory would have you set it while running a test wheel, under load at the required rpm. There is an alternate timing procedure ( at idle) which certainly can be used (Joe Reeves method) which is found in the first (top) thread of this page: called "top secret files" It is an acceptable alternative, especially if all you need to do is to verify the timing on the engine. The flywheel torque should be between 100 and 105 lbs. If you think the flywheel pointer has been adjusted/moved, you should re-index the flywheel to insure that the pointer is indexed to the flywheel correctly before you check the timing-another factory procedure.

Last edited:

Pacifictimes

Seaman Apprentice

Got'er running today :O) T H A N K Y O U A L L for the thoughtful suggestions, there is such a wealth of knowledge on this site (and a lot of patience too)
Seems to be pretty smooth, I pulled the plugs (all 4 are new) all were wet and a bit black gas on them.
How hot do these engines run? I could not hold my hand on the head it was a bit too hot for that but it did not burn me either when touching it. The muffs had water pushing out all the ports on the lower unit.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The single thermostat (called a vernatherm on this model) will open about 115 degrees, give or take 10 degrees. So the engine should idle around 115-130. If this powerhead heats up to 211 degrees, the single overheat switch in the #3 head will go to ground, setting off a hot horn in the control box. Once the engine cools down to 175, the horn will silence. Best to measure the temps on both heads with a laser temp gun when idling. You can also perform this test: start the engine when cold. hold the palm of your hand back by the two exhaust relief ports at the top of the midsection. After about a minute of running the thermostat will open-causing water droplets to form on the palm of your hand. That's normal. When idling, it's normal for the plugs to look black, oily, as these crossflows do run rich at idle. If you do a WOT throttle chop, you will find them all tan.