Mid 90's Evinrude paint color matching (what I should have done)

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys,

Been wanting to do a little touch up on a mid 90's Evinrude 120hp V4 outboard. As it works out TODAY the work load is low and the weather is nice and even though I see plenty of places to buy matching dark blue met. paint online, I kinda got caught with my pants down ,so to speak, and did not order any so it would be here when such a day as today arrived. None of those are a brand name that I recognize being at any of the local stores. Anyway, my question is, DO ANY OF YOU KNOW OF A Duplicolor OR A Rustoleum RATTLE CAN COLOR THAT IS A CLOSE MATCH TO THE Evinrude COLOR? We do also have a tractor supply here so I guess "Majic" is an option too. I plan on spraying the entire lower end and because the engine cowl is separated by a black gasket if it is a touch off it won't really matter and I don't think it will be noticed. I'm looking for something I can pick up at a big box store or an auto parts store. Hopefully one of you have found a "close enough" match that you will feel comfortable sharing the info. with me. Thanks in advance for any help, I really would love to make this a productive day in some manner if at all possible.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mid 90's Evinrude paint color matching

You might try a few dealers to see if they have some backstock for your motor (spray cans). I have a list of color matches for older motors, but none that recent. You could try this source: Grub’s marine, 402 Walnut St. Spring City, PA, 19475; 1-800 932 2871.

Good luck.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

You might try a few dealers to see if they have some backstock for your motor (spray cans). I have a list of color matches for older motors, but none that recent. You could try this source: Grub’s marine, 402 Walnut St. Spring City, PA, 19475; 1-800 932 2871.

Good luck.

Thanks, I was hoping for something common that I could pick up locally like from Lowes, WalMart, Tractor Supply or possibly an Auto parts store. I might just go with a real dark blue metallic and not worry about it. Its mostly faded or worn off anyway, so anything would look moocho better! ;)

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

take a pic on yer phone of a spot under the cowl thats clean. head down to the local hardware store, compare the pic to the lids on the spray cans. duplicolor has many shades in the can!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, wish I had something to pass along. If that's the dark blue, it's a little tough, but not too late to go into Walmart or Tractor Supply and grab something to try out. Prop the same color as the leg? could carry that in -- or the cowling, for that matter. Like you say, if you do the leg you only need to get reasonably close. Barnacles will mess it up anyway :).

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

take a pic on yer phone of a spot under the cowl thats clean. head down to the local hardware store, compare the pic to the lids on the spray cans. duplicolor has many shades in the can!

I tried that, you know the statement "color of cap matches contents of can" DON"T YOU BELIEVE IT! LOL lot of wasted money over the years doing just that, that is why I was asking if someone had gotten lucky and already found a matching rattle can paint code and manufacture. Oh well, not all is lost in this though. I did discover the actual PPG paint code (16540) for this particular model and HP motor and have the cowl at the paint shop as I type. My local parts store did offer to mix some and I could purchase a set up from them that involves a small sprayer with a glass bottle screwed to the bottom and a small aerosol charge can attached. I've used this type of set up before years ago and it works well, but you still have all the cleanup of a big sprayer and the trouble of trying to keep mixing agents. It can get expensive in a hurry, VS. a $5/$10 rattle can for some really good stuff. Save what you don't use for years and throw away the empty can with no clean up. Anyway, they also said they would see if they could find what automotive applications that PPG paint code was used on and maybe they could find a Dupli-Color rattle can match. I'll post what the results of that is when they let me know.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like you are doing really well. Know what you mean about can cover colors, and understand what you are after (actual experience with an off the shelf color used on your model). A couple of Google searchs might get you a hit or too. (Also, it still seems to me that you could find a couple of cans of factory color somewhere on some shop's shelf.) With the ppg color, you have some options. If you get into buying paint at an auto detailer, at some point, take extra precautions in mixing and applying (need a breather with a filter). Anyway sounds good.

BTW, those Preval sprayers (the glass jars you mention) are effective for small jobs or one-time jobs. Buy a couple of extra propellant tops. They are available separately.

Last edited:

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walmart has some very nice metallics...I found a perfect match for my 1997 Force 40hp.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Try True Value hardware. If they don't stock it ask to see their marine catalog. It's in there.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

NAPA stores also have a good marine catalog and offer next day shipping if they have it.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

NAPA stores also have a good marine catalog and offer next day shipping if they have it.
Yup. NAPA has a lot of 'Duplicolor' rattle cans. Always thought "gunmetal grey" was the closest match.

Buy my coils'n plug wires, etc from NAPA. Gaskets too. Ain't had no problems

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like you are doing really well. Know what you mean about can cover colors, and understand what you are after (actual experience with an off the shelf color used on your model). A couple of Google searchs might get you a hit or too. (Also, it still seems to me that you could find a couple of cans of factory color somewhere on some shop's shelf.) With the ppg color, you have some options. If you get into buying paint at an auto detailer, at some point, take extra precautions in mixing and applying (need a breather with a filter). Anyway sounds good.

BTW, those Preval sprayers (the glass jars you mention) are effective for small jobs or one-time jobs. Buy a couple of extra propellant tops. They are available separately.

Thanks again, Like I mentioned above, I have used that setup in the past and they do work nice for small jobs. I bought the setup and painted a few things with it before it got put on the shelf. It was okay. I tossed what I had left of it a few years back. Mostly now I use a gravity fed HVLP gun when I spray catalyst paints, lot less wasted paint floating in the air, but even still I wear my respirator. My main reason for posting to begin with was to hopefully get a response that day due to the spare time on my hands. I had previously found several sources for ordering in aerosol cans of the actual factory paint color, but could not get any that day. Thats when I started thinking about DupliColor, Rust-oleum, Majic, you know BIG Box store brands, something local. That particular day I did not have the PPG code for that color and I really did not want to go to the hassle of cleaning my HVLP gun for just a small project. In fact the next day when I found the paint code, I took the cowl to a body shop friend of mine for him to prep and paint it because I really don't have time to do it now that work has picked back up. I pretty much had that one day :juggle: I'm still planning on using a rattle can to touch up the foot and lower unit but now I'm waiting on the cowl to be sure I get a good match. Thanks again for the ideas.

Last edited:

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Yup. NAPA has a lot of 'Duplicolor' rattle cans. Always thought "gunmetal grey" was the closest match.

Buy my coils'n plug wires, etc from NAPA. Gaskets too. Ain't had no problems

This is what I was looking for. So you have used the DupliColor "gunmetal grey" and it came out looking "close enough" ? I can see where the factory color might be close to that, because it has that bluish grey tone to it like gunmetal. I had called all the local auto parts stores including Napa and none claimed to be able to look up specific marine motor paint colors, but to be able to call and ask for a specific color in a specific brand name shouldn't be a problem.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

You can always take a sample to most any auto paint shop and they will absolutely match the color perfectly. You can buy as little or as much as you want too. And then either buy a spray bottle or a small air brush setup and spray away. You can select from all types of paint too. It is totally your option...based on your pocket book though... :cool:

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

You can always take a sample to most any auto paint shop and they will absolutely match the color perfectly. You can buy as little or as much as you want too. And then either buy a spray bottle or a small air brush setup and spray away. You can select from all types of paint too. It is totally your option...based on your pocket book though... :cool:

Thanks, was looking for a local big box store brand aerosol can that would be a "close enough" match, and that was at the beginning of the week. I lost that window of opportunity. I'm going to just order some in an aerosol from a marine store online now that time is no longer an issue. That way it will be sure to match and I can store what I don't use on the shelf for years.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, was looking for a local big box store brand aerosol can that would be a "close enough" match, and that was at the beginning of the week. I lost that window of opportunity. I'm going to just order some in an aerosol from a marine store online now that time is no longer an issue. That way it will be sure to match and I can store what I don't use on the shelf for years.

Sounds like a workable plan. Just understand that even though the original manufacture does make color matching paint, that it still can be a little off. But I'm sure it will be close enough so that it isn't a problem... Glad you found a solution to you problem... have a great day!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a workable plan. Just understand that even though the original manufacture does make color matching paint, that it still can be a little off. But I'm sure it will be close enough so that it isn't a problem... Glad you found a solution to you problem... have a great day!

Oh yea, just like any paint you get, including interior wall, no guarantees if you don't paint it all at one time with the same batch LOL not going for show quality just better than this

johns boat.jpg

I think the owner just wants it to look better for resale. If we made it look as good as it runs it would be show quality but he doesn't want to spend that kind of money. Thanks again for every ones help.

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Check out Rusto's "Black Night Metallic" #7250

Lil darker'n more 'flakey' than the origional but purty cool. It actually lightens up a lil after it fully cures.

Cowl I been monkeyin' around with:

Attachments

• SUNP0099.JPG
    SUNP0099.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SUNP0102.jpg
    SUNP0102.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Check out Rusto's "Black Night Metallic" #7250

Lil darker'n more 'flakey' than the origional but purty cool. It actually lightens up a lil after it fully cures.

Cowl I been monkeyin' around with:

Looks great, that a nice boat color with all the flakes.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

It's the closest I've found yet to match the Baja. Off'n the shelf at least. The boat actually has more of a 'rainbow' flake in it where the motor paint is just silver flake. But yeah it's a purty cool color, particularly when you topcoat it with some of their Crystal Clear. Really gives 'depth' to the flake.

I'll post some pics if I ever get it done ...

Attachments

• One from Mama2.jpg
    One from Mama2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2