1977 70hp evinrude power pilot controls binding

beeennny

Cadet
I just bought a bass boat with a turn key 70hp evinrude. Motor runs and shifts great(By hand). The problem is the power pilot controls bind and it sticks in forward. I have taken it apart and put it back together several times shifting smoothly. As soon as i tighten it down it gets stuck in forward again and barely moves back to the neutral position. No reverse at all from controls. Any ideas?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1977 70hp evinrude power pilot controls binding

I'm guessing that there are either worn, missing or incorrectly installed bushings which is causing the binding. Does the reverse work while it's not tight or does it not work at all?

beeennny

Cadet

I'm guessing that there are either worn, missing or incorrectly installed bushings which is causing the binding. Does the reverse work while it's not tight or does it not work at all?

If i take it apart and rebuild it loosely it works fine but as soon as i tighten the case it locks up and wont let it lock into the neutral position. I did noticed tonight that if i tightened everything without the ball bearing and spring that push against the lever it seemed to work fine but did make it feel very flimsy. It seemed very clean inside with the exception of old grease which i cleaned and lightly regreased.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The ball bearing and spring are the " nuetral detent" to get a good feel for nuetral.----You might consider one of the newer control boxes as they are better designed.------The slimmer boxes with the red plug.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Best I can suggest would be to print out the parts breakdown if you can or if you don't have one. Blow it up as large as possible.

Open it up again and check all the bushings. Then look over all moving parts for anything that looks like a rub mark that shouldn't be there. Could also coat parts with a contrasting color grease then reassemble it, operate it and then open again and then look at the grease for areas that are making contact. Another thing you could try is to remove the shift and throttle cable, reassemble and see if it's still acting up.

The 2 I have are the next generation that have the 2 piece case instead of the 3 piece one. There is a bit of difference between the 2 models.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Default Re: 1977 Evinrude control box won't go into reverse! HELP!

Thank you! #64 looked fine but I pulled it out and greased it all over. Works great again. I spent a tremendous amount of time trying to figure this out on my own.

(Saw this earlier post, and thought it might be helpful.)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Default Re: 1977 Evinrude control box won't go into reverse! HELP!

(Saw this earlier post, and thought it might be helpful.)

Might be helpful to include a link. You may be on to something!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

See related old thread. (I have one of those units that I've kept for future use -- 10 years.) Never had it apart, and the part referenced doesn't look like something that would be greased. But who knows?

Edit: sorry. made that confusing (bumped the old thread for context):

1977 Evinrude control box won't go into reverse! HELP!
Started by Huskerpower24, June 13th, 2012 11:23 PM

Last edited: