reverse problem 1999 Johnson 50hp model BJ50PLEEA

gunmud1

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 1999 50hp Johnson (BJ50PLEEA) that is pushing a 26 foot pontoon. All of a sudden the reverse doesn't work. It goes forward just fine and operates the way it is supposed to. When you put it in reverse it clicks for a second and the motor revs up and doesn't go anywhere. I have adjusted the linkage all the way out and it doesn't help. I have also checked the linkage loose fittings and everything seems to be tight. With the motor turned off you can turn the prop with it in reverse and it will turn the motor but it will free spin the opposite way it is supposed to. I took the lower unit off and have it in the vise. I can pull up on the shift rod and it will go in reverse and not free spin in the opposite direction. It seems as if there is something wore out in the gear case that makes the rod need to travle farther to ingage the gear properly. Is this the case or is it in the linkage somewhere. I am decent with a wrench and can rebuild about anything but I didn't want to tear into the gear case if there is somehting I am overlooking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: reverse problem 1999 Johnson 50hp model BJ50PLEEA

Have you drained the oil ?-----Any metal particles in it ?------Do you use reverse for " heavy braking " or just low speed.

gunmud1

Recruit

I have not drained the oil. That is on the to do list. I have used reverse for braking but it isn't used for "heavy" braking often. I have used reverse heavy to get it off the trailer on a shallow ramp that we used often when then lake was low.

gunmud1

Recruit

I had recently rebuilt the motor after a nut from the carburetor got in the cylinder. Well today I realized that the gear shift rod screws into the gear case. I screwed it all the way in and remounted the foot thinking this might be my problem. I adjusted it out to where it lines up with the shifter in neutral. I tested it and it still clicks going in reverse and not fully engaging. with the motor running. I can take the pin out of the gear shift cable and manually put it in reverse. It acts as if the cable isn't long enough for reverse or is it a gear problem.