Steering Cables for 1979 85hp Evinrude?

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
These parts are not listed on the Evinrude website. I don't believe they are in my manual either. Is it part specific or do I need a generic number and length? I found throttle cables and those are so cheap, I can't believe I haven't replaced it already! Steering is really stiff and needs to be dealt with.

My motor information is in my signature below.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering Cables for 1979 85hp Evinrude?

You need to know what type of steering you have and length. And you can find you part right here @iboats

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the overwhelming likelihood is that it is a cable that was supplied by the boat builder, not Evinrude. Teleflex was the most popular, by far. Morse, would come in second. iboats sells new Teleflex cables, no problem. Also, Teleflex bought out Morse so they can supply those too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Your steering problem might be in the tilt tube with the cable being rusted up inside of it. The cable might be alright. This can repaired without buying a new cable.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your steering problem might be in the tilt tube with the cable being rusted up inside of it. The cable might be alright. This can repaired without buying a new cable.

Very true. Rust problem in the tilt tube is very common. Pull the cable out and clean the rust out of the tube. There is a special wire brush made for that, which makes it easier. iboats has those too.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to ask but what is the tilt tube? And how do I determine the type? I can take a photo and post it if needed.

Last edited:

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty sure it's a rotary system based on the options I found here on iboats. It's not a rack and pinion and definately not hydraulic. It's the original steering system.

I only thought I needed new cables becuase the steering system has become extremely stiff and hard to turn the motor. So much so that the cables are torquing and putting a lot of pressure on the cables. The cables move under the helm and pushing up on wiring for gauges.

If I could remove the cable, clean it, apply a lubricant (that won't gum up later) and get steering resolved, I'd be happy with that. If I don't need to replace it, I'd be fine with cleaning only. Any suggestions on how to clean and or insepct?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The tilt tube is the hollow pipe on the motor that the cable passes through. It also is the pivot point about which the motor tilts, thus the name. They are made of steel and are notorious for rusting inside. Let it go long enough and you won't even be able to get it apart. It is considered a normal preventative maintenance item. On many boats, the motor must be lifted off the transom in order to remove the cable from the tube.....a big reason people neglect and ignore it until it is too late.

Disclaimer: SOMETIMES, the installer elects not to use the tilt tube, and instead uses a transom mount-----same problem, it has to receive maintenance also.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I believe it may be the tube as well. It has rust colored lube coming out of it but it's grime and not dripping.

So how does one repair this? It's mentioned*above that the motor has to be removed to remove the tube. I assume I will*need a new tube as well. I haven't looked it up yet to see if that's an Evinrude part or by steering manuf.

I'll take some photos and upload within the next few hours so everyone can see what I have. I'm pretty sure it's the tube and the cable needs cleaning only. I'm assuming it's 35yrs old and the original.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can normally just clean up the tube after you get the cable out of it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

boobie and I both have experienced the situation many times. It is 100 times worse in our domain (salt water). Yet, if it will come apart, it usually can be cleaned. The wire brush I mentioned is helpful, but the truth is I had a 5/8" reamer that I chucked up in a drill and gave it heck. Then the brush and lots of your favorite rust buster lube/penetrant.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The 5/8" reamer really works good as I've used it many times. Get the longest one you can find. Did you loosen up the big nut on the star board side of the tilt tube and then try to turn the steering wheel ?? If the wheel is free you know it's in the tilt tube.

Last edited:

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Here are photos of the tube and the rotary steering box behind the steering wheel. If I can simply clean the rust out and prep to reinstall the cable, I'm all for that. When I wipe the brown rusted lube off, add a little 3n1 oil, it gets a little bit better so I'm pretty sure it's just rust and gunk.

2014-02-23 13.24.27.jpg2014-02-23 13.24.55.jpg2014-02-23 13.25.15.jpg2014-02-23 13.25.59.jpg2014-02-23 13.27.53.jpg

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Did you get the steering ram out of the tube? Not to rain on anybody's parade, but it might be better to replace the whole system -- looks pretty bad from this end. Thinking a used freshwater unit might do the job for you, and be safer than what you have. I like rack and pinion systems, but it's probably just a matter of preference. Be safe.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Picture #4 looks a little ratty where the cracked plastic covering meets the metal section. The wire strands beneath that cracked covering may be rusted. If seriously rusted in that area, it is time for a new cable for safety reasons. Other than that, the tilt tube certainly is way past due for maintenance service. You will have to examine it and make your decision.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get the cable out of the tilt tube and then make a decision on what you're going to do.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Get the cable out of the tilt tube and then make a decision on what you're going to do.
That's my plan for this weekend. Pull the cable, clean it and see what happens.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good choice........

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Had some time this afternoon. Pulled the cable loose. Can't get cable out without removing the motor. Too pinched at the cable and hull. Good news is, tube is very free. Full of gunk but free. Bad news is, it's the cable.

I'll just replace the whole thing and be done with it. I at least know what I'm I'm for now and what I need thanks to you guys. I very much appreciate it.

Final question....

Can I lift the entire motor by the chain lift bracket on top of the block? Or is that just for powerhead removal? How much would that motor weigh anyway? 200-300lbs?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

oh Lordy. Don't be asking how much the motor weighs!

You should be able to get it out without removal of either the powerhead or the motor. If you have to cut the cable, no loss right? going to replace it.