1969 johnson 25hp tiller to remote

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is all I need the controls and cables to make this happen? or do I need the old shipmaster 2 lever controls or will any 2 control line johnson/envinrude controls work?
Thanks!!!

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1969 johnson 25hp tiller to remote

i would think as long as the ends of the two cables are compatible then it will work. my controls work on my 63 evinrude 28hp and also work on my 76 evinrude 40 hp. i believe omc changed the connectors in the late 70s.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

think you mean the two lever Simplex controls, compared to other two lever controls. Simplex controls are easily available, particularly if not too fussy about period. If you find one of the OMC Simplex models (Johnson, Evinrude, Gale/Bosun), you should be getting the correct engine-end connectors with the package. (I'm assuming the '69 has the same control points and takes the same connectors as the '50s an earlier '60s, but will do a mea culpa if wrong about that.) Look on Ebay for sets, and take a close look at connectors. There are a couple of differences, but both types work with the engine clips you probably have on the motor. If not there will need those too.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am looking around but I think I will have to get the cables and controls seperately. Thanks for the replies!
It looks like the OMC type 400 by teleflex is what I need. Is that right?
Thanks in advance!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sorry. can't confirm the Teleflex compatibility. I move between Teleflex and Morse if piecing a system together.

I think I would recommend picking up a used complete set of controls that is in decent condition, as far as you can determine, as a first attempt. Ideally, need something that can be fit your setup (length/placement), but can go from there. (nice box, maybe replace cables, etc. -- might get something that will work well as is.)