Evinrude 1975, 70 hp Electrical Problem

bmdmriver

Recruit
Hi I recently bought my first boat. It came with a 1975 Evinrude engine. I have had it running but recently hooked up the taco and a few other electronic items, now I can not get power to the starter motor through the solenoid. I have replaced the solenoid and bypassed it to check the starter which seams to be working. I have placed a test light on the wire between the starter and solenoid but get no light when I turn the key. The safety switch in the controls has been removed and bypassed before I got the boat. I have checked all the fuses. A noise and clicking comes from the solenoid but no power to starter. Any advice greatly appreciated.Cheers

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1975, 70 hp Electrical Problem

The clicking from the solenoid means the primary circuit is working (key, safety switch, and all that stuff). BUT the solenoid is not passing the high amperage current to the starter. That is what you have to focus on. The high amperage circuit consists of:

Battery (Have it load tested--free at many places)
Battery cable connections (Remove and CLEAN them shiny bright--both ends) Must be tight.
Battery cables (Corroded internally, ratty?) Includes both + and - cables!!!!
The solenoid itself

bmdmriver

Recruit
Re: Evinrude 1975, 70 hp Electrical Problem

The clicking from the solenoid means the primary circuit is working (key, safety switch, and all that stuff). BUT the solenoid is not passing the high amperage current to the starter. That is what you have to focus on. The high amperage circuit consists of:

Battery (Have it load tested--free at many places)
Battery cable connections (Remove and CLEAN them shiny bright--both ends) Must be tight.
Battery cables (Corroded internally, ratty?) Includes both + and - cables!!!!
The solenoid itself

Thanks for the advice I will get to it. Much appreciated.