1988 25hp Evinrude Not Starting

Hello!

I have a 1988 Evinrude 25hp Electric Start. Model E25ELCCM. This motor was dunked, which I know isn't great, but I looked it up online and treated it with so much care, it still runs! The only problem is, the key start ignition doesn't work. :hopelessness: I have bought a new battery (with a fresh charge) , and replaced the starting solenoid, but I am getting quite frustrated. Does ANYONE know something that could be wrong with this? If you need pictures, I can get them. Thanks so much in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 25hp Evinrude Not Starting

Have you checked the 20 amp fuse in the wiring harness on the motor??

jbjennings

Captain

As said, check fuses. Try jumping the starter solenoid and seeing if the starter works as well. If not, take it apart and clean it. I would run the heck out of that motor with clean fresh fuel for at least an hour to make sure all water is out of the crankcase. First few hours is critical after the "dunk". Check battery voltage and clean all connections as well.

JBJ

racerone

Supreme Mariner

A motor that has been submerged MUST be started as soon as possible.----Some manuals say within 3 hours.--------------So get it running or seek help to do so.----This is important.