Which book

cbourbeau32

Seaman
I'm looking for a manual for my Evinrude engine. My question is this, would the OEM manual as shown in the attached picture be good enough for general maintenance/repairs or do I need to buy a more detailed book. What do y'all use?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

Attachments

• Evinrude.jpg
    Evinrude.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which book

The 22 cubic inch motor on the 18 / 20 HP was basically the same from 57 to 76 or so.----That manual will have all the proper information for at home repairs.

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Thanks Racer and Chris, I hope someday to be the one to have some input instead of just asking all the questions.

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Racer, so a 1965 manual would be just as good as a '66? My engine is a 66 model and I found a 65 18HP manual for about half price.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

A 1965 18 HP and 1966 20 HP are exactly the same motor as far as repairs are concerned !----Different cowling and decals perhaps.----Different cylinderhead too perhaps.---You could not tell the difference between a 66 powerhead or 65 powerhead if they were side by side !

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

i think where you have to be carefull from one year to the next on seemingly identical motors, is in the carbs...the jetting and the turns off of seat for the low speed mixture and so forth... i have found that to be true on the mid 90s 60 degree V4's of which i have three with their own manuals( thus my discovery)

bob

racerone

Supreme Mariner

These 22 cubic inch motors were the same for many, many years except for cosmetics.--For example the crankshaft for a 1957 model also fits the 76 models.---They are one of the most " cost effective motors " one could own if you want to do some of your own work !!!!!