thinking about buying a Johnson 1990 gt 200

bowhunter304

Cadet
Hey guy's I am thinking about buying a Johnson 1990 gt 200 on a hydro sport fish and ski. it's been sitting for eight years it had a tune up on it and never ran. his job had him move away . I seen the boat sitting in the yard so I called him up. I can get it for a little bit of money. What should check out on the motor and boat?

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: thinking about buying a Johnson 1990 gt 200

On the motor you need to check: spark,compression and lower unit condition(hole/cracks/external leakage) and gear oil(water/metal shavings) On the boat check transom for crack as Hydrosports are know for transom problems) and floor for soft/rotten spots

racerone

Supreme Mariner

An on the water test is recommended.--------If not then maybe a local shop has a dynomometer to check the motor out.---Would be money well spent.

bowhunter304

Cadet

I have a scope to look in the cylinder a spark tester and compression tester. wounding if should spray the cylinders first before I turnover the motor with the starter or use a wrench to break it loose to do the compression test
What is a good number for the compression? Thanks

Last edited:

fishman204

Seaman Apprentice

If it's been sitting for 8 years i would spray some 2 stoke oil in each cyl .It will be hard to do a compression check with the carbs dirty.I would look in the bores if they aren't all scatched up should be able to make it run with cleaning the carbs first.With all the spark plugs out you can turn the flywheel by hand.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the top secret files at the beginning of this forum for awakening an outboard.

Last edited: