1999 200hp evinrude ficht, flashing lights

jlester95

Cadet
Hey guys,

I could use some help to point me in the right direction. I just got the boat back from the dealer about a month ago, parked it in the garage and have left the battery hooked up to tinker with a couple things. During this time, we have had some cold weather but my garage never gets below 32 degrees. During this time, I have also turned the key and everything goes fine, through the system check, can hear fuel pump run, etc. I went out tonight, just for the hell of it, turned the key over, and counts down then I get no oil, hot, and check engine light flashing at me. The only other thing Ive even touched was topping off the oil reservoir. Im positive the lights I fixed, had nothing to do with shorting anything out either. What could have gone wrong and what do those 3 flashing lights mean. Thanks for anything help, this motor has been nothing but trouble since I bought it thanks to the pervious owner having **** for brains. Thanks!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 200hp evinrude ficht, flashing lights

Did you try to turn the motor over as in starting ??

jlester95

Cadet

No I havent. Being winterized, would that blow out all the fogging oil and what not? Basically I wouldnt want to dewinterize it but I could try it.

jlester95

Cadet

So I went out to turn the motor over, and it turned over fine with no problem. Even after letting it turn over a couple of time then turning the key off and back to start, same 3 lights came on again but it would still let me turn the motor over.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC did have some bad system check tachs in those days.

jlester95

Cadet

I installed a new tach about 6 weeks ago. I disconnected the battery last night, charged it, hooked it up today and it fired up within a bump of the key. The charge on it before I put it on the charger was 11.7 volts, I'm assuming it's just that touchy. Thanks for you input but I'm still going to hook up with dfi and see what they say. I don't want to be stranded on the water.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did the lights go off when you started it ??

jlester95

Cadet

Yeah, the four lights did the usual count down, then stayed off and it popped right off. I'm interested to see what dfi says tomorrow.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let us know what they say.

jlester95

Cadet

Will do, I'm pretty interested on their opinion. Thanks!

jlester95

Cadet

So I heard back from DFI. He said that those ecu's had some sort of factory defect I guess you could say, that in cold temps, no specific temp, they have some circuit that acts as an open circuit and throws those 3 lights. My garage was around 32-34 when I got those lights the first time and that was after the boat had sat in some cold temps for a while. When I went back out the next day after charging the battery, the temp was around 40-42 degrees. So he said I could send it to him and he would test it by placing the ecu in the freezer over night then he would go through the entire thing and rebuild it for $610 plus shipping.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are you going to send it to him or wait for warm weather ?? Damn, I hate those ECUs cause they make you feel so helpless. Seems they have you right by the balls.